• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds Neem safe on seedlings?

Flamecycle

eXtreme
So I have my first indoor aphid infestation that originated on one of my overwinters... And worse yet, I've now found some on my newly sprouted seedlings (barely starting to show first leaves)

Before picking up something more drastic like pyrethrin, I decided to try spraying down the overwinters with tobacco tea and neem oil.

My question is, can i spray the baby seedlings with the same solution? Do i need to dilute it more than I would for the mature plants?

That stinks that they got into your starts.  I just dealt with them getting to some of mine, but effectively cleaned and isolated all but 1 sprout, which will stay on its own for at least a while longer. Thankfully I got to them early.

I've never done neem on sprouts to know it would cause an issue, but I wouldn't.  Being an oil, it has the potential to suffocate foliage and kill off growth points, which I've seen with people putting heavier applications on larger plants.  With sprouts being so small, it seems they could easily be damaged/killed with a potentially minimal tolerance margin. 

Aphids on sprouts are a big pain. If I did anything other than mechanical removal (fingers and spraying water) until they got bigger it would be Dr. Bronner's safe soap in a hand held trigger-sprayer and I'd rinse them completely with fresh water before they saw light again.

My $0.02.  And like I said, a pain.

Thanks for the advice, sounds like the insecticides may be risky for the babies. I guess I'll try to keep an eye on them and continue removing by hand for a couple of days and cross my fingers I can get them all

I agree with CD, I wouldn't take that chance.
I might try using some insecticidal soap, but
spray lightly.

I have just been using the search and destroy
method on my rocotos, and it seems to be
working. At this stage, it just takes vigilance
and a pair of tweezers.

The upside for you is that the sprouts are still
small, and it's easy to spot the critters.

Good luck resolving your issue.

Back