• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Net Pot Size - Is Bigger Better?

Is there really an advantage in using 3", 4" or 5" pots over a 2"? I realize one cannot grow 25 tomato plants in a 2'x 1.5' area but it seems to me as long as there is enough room for the roots to grow, the size of the hole (don't even go there, Iggy!) doesn't matter.

What I am thinking is that drilling smaller holes will leave more plastic, wood, plexiglass, whatever the lid is made of, than drilling bigger holes. Plus, 2" pots will cost less than 5" ones.

Opinions?

Mike

I'm assuming you're talking about seedlings.
damn near every grower at our farmers market sells their seedlings in small cubes or round pots (never measured them but cubes about 2" & little pots 3" dia.) if you want I can measure what they sell them out of (not gonna do it right now cuz they're in the shed & I'm settled in for the night)
the plants do get root bound but still grow & get an alright height. I've bought some that are 1' tall out of those small containers.

chilehunter,

Sorry, you assumed wrong. I am talking about the size of pots used in a hydro system.

Yep, you are right about plants for sale. The ones that are in the standard 1x2" cells one gets at the local garden center do just as well as the ones in the 3" square pots. But some consumers are stupid and have money to waste. They will pay $1-2 more for a plant in a larger container, even though all it amounts to is they will need to dig a bigger hole. I saw a person pay $6.95 for a tomato plant because it was in a 5" pot. And he was smiling as he walked out of the store!

Mike
Willing to make money off fools!

Think the only thing to think of Mike is the fact of how long,They have to stay in the pots..If you can sell them quick 2 will be fine,If not they tend to grow quickly so the bigger pots might have some advantages..Plus you could perhaps sell the larger plants for a better price,Just rang my brother for some advice,He said go 50/50 till you discover what and how many you can sell..He also remarked about if you can afford the larger ones go for it at least then you have an advantage in time if not 50% small 50% large :)

Bigger net pots means more expanded clay or equivalent medium, and that means more support for the roots. more to hang on to.

Omri said:
Bigger net pots means more expanded clay or equivalent medium, and that means more support for the roots. more to hang on to.

I was planning on staking all the plants except the lettuce - toms, cukes, basil.

Mike

Back