• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Never amended Pro Mix HP before transplanting

Hey gang,

I achieved mighty noob status already in my first season of growing peppers from seeds. I germinated and grew a bunch of seedlings until they had 5 or 6 sets of leaves and then transplanted them after hardening off into 4-gallon pots outside. The mix I put in the pots was just straight Pro Mix HP with no bonemeal, epsom salt, compost... no nothing. The bag said to fertilize within 7 days which I have been doing with a two week rotation of 5-1-1 fish emulsion watered in (1 tbsp per gallon of water) and epsom salt (1 tbsp per gallon) as a foliar spray. In other words, one Friday I will water in fish emulsion and then the next Friday is the foliar epsom salt spray. The plants took off well for a few weeks, but now I am running into nutrient deficiencies. It started with interveinal yellowing of newer leaves while older leaves remained green, and now the newest young leaves are completely yellow. Not dried-out crinkly yellow, but still alarming. I water at most twice per week with a slow deep drenching until water runs out the bottom of the pots; about 1.5 gallons per pot. Usually though I wait until the pots feel rather light and a finger stuck deep in the soil comes out almost dry. Does this sound like iron deficiency? Would you suggest amending the soil with a few inches of compost and watering it in?

Thanks for your help!

Try not using the Espom salt for a while and see what happens. I would also recommend switching to a bloom fert, so you will be feeding your plant more P K. What size pot is it in? Maybe it could use potting up?

Fish Emultion mostly supplies notrogen - 5-1-1.
You need to ad other nutes.
I use Fish and Seaweed extract together or alternate feedings.
I add Dolomite Lime to my soil and 14-14-14 time release Osmacote to my soil mix.

Thanks for the replies.

Try not using the Espom salt for a while and see what happens. I would also recommend switching to a bloom fert, so you will be feeding your plant more P K. What size pot is it in? Maybe it could use potting up?

I only used the epsom salts once, so I won't use them again for a bit. The plants are all in 4 gallon pots, so I don't think potting up is necessary. Though perhaps pulling the plants and mixing some compost in to the soil and replanting is an idea? What do you think about Pure Blend Pro Grow 3-2-4? A more balanced approach with more phosphorus and potassium.

Fish Emultion mostly supplies notrogen - 5-1-1.
You need to ad other nutes.
I use Fish and Seaweed extract together or alternate feedings.
I add Dolomite Lime to my soil and 14-14-14 time release Osmacote to my soil mix.

The Pro Mix comes with some dolomitic lime premixed, and I don't have a way to test pH so I didn't want to mess with it. I have read about seaweed/kelp extract, so I will look into that more. Thank you.

If you want to stay organic you can use any of the following:

Bone Meal - high in phosphorus and readily available
Kelp Meal - great for micro nutes
Crab Shell powder - great for calcium and magnesium which peppers crave
If you want a pre-mixed organic fert go with some Espoma Tomato Tone.

Also..wait until they start to droop to water.

I use all the above in my Pro Mix HP soil.

Just noticed your in Tampa as well!

+1 for tomato tone... its a fantastic granular fert ...ild still yank them and mix in some compost and about a cup of tomato tone per container.

Get those microbes working for ya...

+1 for tomato tone... its a fantastic granular fert ...ild still yank them and mix in some compost and about a cup of tomato tone per container.

Get those microbes working for ya...

:party: I got very similar advice at the local hydroponics shop. Plan is to yank the plants late this evening and mix the soil with some compost and water in some tomato tone. Then in two or three weeks I will start feeding with Cal-Mag and Botanicare Pro Bloom. Thanks for the help everyone!

dislodge plants from containers, knock of excess soil from root mass, mix up a soil youre happy with using what you have, re pot and enjoy the recovery. easy as that! :P

point is, you dont try and chase a sterile medium all season with fertilizer

you end up trying to correct deficiencies and symptoms all season

Thanks for the knowledge. I ended up pulling the plants and mixing in worm compost with the Pro Mix and dumping a handful of tomato tone in the bottom of the (re)planting holes. That should make them happier!

Back