• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

New babies just popped, take them outside?

I I have three new seedings that have broken the soil line and are starting to stretcb their cotys.

Spring is here for good in Japan, day temps are consistently above 60F, and will stretch into 70s this week. Should I go ahead and just leave them outside for the day (avoid hardening off later)?

Here is a pic of what they look like at the moment. Aji Jobito on the left, lone Reaper on the right.

oQKLCt8.jpg

As long as it's not getting very cool at night (staying above 50F or so), do it. No reason to harden off a plant that is that young - It's not used to indoor conditions yet.

Until when are you planning on growing, Fil? Looks like you and I are starting kind of late haha. Best of luck with your seedlings. They're small but they won't stay that way for long!

As to your question, if you can get them outside, go for it. Just means you have to harden them off less in the long run, right?

Until when are you planning on growing, Fil? Looks like you and I are starting kind of late haha. Best of luck with your seedlings. They're small but they won't stay that way for long!

As to your question, if you can get them outside, go for it. Just means you have to harden them off less in the long run, right?

Haha these are the last of my peppers. The others were all started back in January. Last year I figured out I could leave the plants outside until about late November, though could possibly let them run into early December too.

What do you all think about putting out tomato plants that don't have their leaves yet? They are maybe two weeks old, still just cotys with the beginnings of leaves just barely visible.

filmost said:
I I have three new seedings that have broken the soil line and are starting to stretcb their cotys.

Spring is here for good in Japan, day temps are consistently above 60F, and will stretch into 70s this week. Should I go ahead and just leave them outside for the day (avoid hardening off later)?

Here is a pic of what they look like at the moment. Aji Jobito on the left, lone Reaper on the right.

oQKLCt8.jpg
Hi there. i learned about the Aji Jobito on this forum and wants to hear how your Jobitos are doing

Martino said:
Hi there. i learned about the Aji Jobito on this forum and wants to hear how your Jobitos are doing

Hey there, it's been awhile since I started the ones in that photo. Unfortunately they didn't survive.
I will be trying again this year with fresh seeds.

Back