• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

breeding New cross: how many plants do you keep in each generation?

Same page here. I had a few in mind, but the most interesting are crossing a local Japanese sweet pepper with some good Western stand-bys, so I'm probably sticking with one or two of those. J bell + choco hab and, maybe, J bell + ghost.

internationalfish said:

Seems like kind of an unkind assumption, but then you definitely have more experience in these communities than I do.

I'm not trying to be unkind; I'm just shooting for unflinching honesty. Alot of ppl are giving their crosses semi-witty names, most often based on the already overwrought names of the parent strains, while they're still just f2. I also feel like I'm still a complete neophyte with chiles, but i can only milk that excuse for so long, i reckon...

Marruk said:
That was my first reaction, as well. But then I thought about the cross of a fish pepper and a purple jalapeno I was planning on trying, in hopes of getting a purple variegated pepper I could call a "fishapeno", and decided that I didn't have room to be offended :D
That might be a cool cross, mostly going for interesting coloration i would say, but it might be fun. I wish i knew just how complicated the variegated genetics are, so i could try to guess how likely you'll be to achieve your goal. I also might suggest that it might make more sense to call any variegated Jalapeño/Fish Pepper crosses "Fishapeño;" then add the rope pod coloration to the name, eg Fishapeño Purple, Fishapeño Red, Fishapeño Orange, etc...

But, if you spell it with the plain "n", as in "Fishapeno," vs "Fishapeño," you might as well just give up now, lol.

Bicycle808 said:
That might be a cool cross, mostly going for interesting coloration i would say, but it might be fun. I wish i knew just how complicated the variegated genetics are, so i could try to guess how likely you'll be to achieve your goal. I also might suggest that it might make more sense to call any variegated Jalapeño/Fish Pepper crosses "Fishapeño;" then add the rope pod coloration to the name, eg Fishapeño Purple, Fishapeño Red, Fishapeño Orange, etc...

But, if you spell it with the plain "n", as in "Fishapeno," vs "Fishapeño," you might as well just give up now, lol.

I'm going to blame autocowreck on my phone for that one lol!  Even though its ironically easier to type an ñ on my phone than my laptop...

I agree on Fishapeño Red and Fishapeño  Orange, but it should be Purple Fishapeño, not Fishapeño  Purple.    The first one rolls off the tongue much better.  Plus I'm growing purple jalapeños, not jalapeño purples :)

My wife is doing a cross of Carolina Reaper and two examples of Chocolate Scotch Bonnet from the same plant, just for fun. She is growing 3 plants of each for this project, so 9 in this season.

podz said:
My wife is doing a cross of Carolina Reaper and two examples of Chocolate Scotch Bonnet from the same plant, just for fun. She is growing 3 plants of each for this project, so 9 in this season.
Mind keeping us posted on that? That sounds pretty awesome!

Ruid said:
Mind keeping us posted on that? That sounds pretty awesome!

Certainly. She claims some sort of allergy to habaneros although she has no problem eating reapers or bonnets, both of which are derived from habaneros... Let's see how it goes.

Can anyone help clarify why breeding 50 or 100 original parent plants is better than just one or a couple? If I understand it correctly, a fully stabilized cultivar should have homozygous chromosomes. With homozygous chromosomes, there is little genetic difference between plants of a given cultivar. Crossing two stable cultivars give you F1 hybrids that, while no longer homozygous, all have nearly identical genetics as well. Obviously, F2 is where it gets crazy, so more plants give you more options.

So if there is little genetic diversity in stabilized cultivars, what's the benefit of multiple parent plants on the initial cross? Am I misunderstanding something? The only thing I can really think of is that it is homozygous for the genes controlling pepper properties, but not necessarily homozygous for the other genes that don't control pepper properties. Anyone have insights on this?

Yeah, that's basically it.  The population is "homozygous" only with respect to selected-for characteristics, whether environmentally selected-for, such as with a land-race variety, or breeder selected based on the desirability of various limited attributes.  If you select a single individual because it exhibits all the desired characteristics, thus concentrating the incidence of those characteristics in the new population, you are (i) concentrating the incidence of its negative (but not patently so) characteristics in the new population (such as with autosomal-recessive conditions), and (ii) not bringing in enough individuals to provide for adequate diversity, the "full" range of genetic diversity available in the original population, with respect to attributes other than the limited selected-for attributes.

Back