• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

New England or Upstate NY growers

Hey everyone, first year growing here, so i was wondering how other northeast growers are doing.  Most of my plants are still in relatively small pots since they haven't grown much since i last potted up. I've got some in my garden and one in a 5 gallon bucket, and I don't think the cool summer we've had up here has helped them grow.  I'm growing red habaneros, serranos, poblanos, some "super chilis" from a local nursery, and some "moruga scorpions" from seed I got from amazon to use up the balance on a gift card.  Most plants are about 10"-12" tall, but seem to be growing, since they put on 3" during last week's short warm spell.  I'm not banking on a huge harvest, but it would be nice to get a few pods this season.  I'll try to take some pictures tomorrow. 

MaineScorpion said:
Hey everyone, first year growing here, so i was wondering how other northeast growers are doing.  Most of my plants are still in relatively small pots since they haven't grown much since i last potted up. I've got some in my garden and one in a 5 gallon bucket, and I don't think the cool summer we've had up here has helped them grow.  I'm growing red habaneros, serranos, poblanos, some "super chilis" from a local nursery, and a some "moruga scorpions" i got from amazon to use up the balance on a gift card.  Most plants are about 10"-12" tall, but seem to be growing, since they put on 3" during last week's short warm spell.  I'm not banking on a huge harvest, but it would be nice to get a few pods this season.  I'll try to take some pictures tomorrow. 
when do you start your plants ?    :onfire:

I started the Amazon "moruga scorpion" seeds in early march, and the serranos in early April.  The others were purchased from a local nursery.  I'm just curious since my tomatoes that I started from seed in early april are already about 3 feet tall and setting fruit. 

Thanks.  I knew peppers took a long time to grow, just curious about how far along other people's peppers in similar climates were.  The plants are looking healthy, and most are in pots anyways, so I'm thinking I'll try to overwinter them, regardless of whether I get pods this season or not. 

Mine were doing great till the last month and a half of rain. They are slowing down but some are finally changing color.

I'm in philly and my plants I started in January/February are starting to ripen. I'm growing mostly bhuts,morugas and reapers. This year is a really odd year for me with high winds and a lot of rain or overcast days.

Started my plants in february, been picking jalapenos for a month but just this week , here in Central New York, I just started picking a lot of my Orange Bhuts, Yellow and Red Trinidad Scorpions, Beefsteak tomatoes.
Datils, Choc Habs and Reapers are just starting to show some color. Hang in there, its worth the wait.

Had more rain this weekend, but this coming week looks better temperature wise.  Potted up my serrano today, and I noticed that I've finally got flowers on my potted red habs, and some buds on the "scorpion" in my 5 gallon, so I should get some fruit by the first frost! I've been battling japanese beetles on my beans and hops, but luckily they haven't found my peppers on the deck yet. 

Hi Scorpion,

I've been growing the Super Hots for four years now in Southern Ct -Zone6.

I start my late maturing plants (90-100-120 day) from seed in January in soiless mix on a heat mat under T8 lights. This method got me some ripe pods in August and gangbusters from early September-October last season.

Yeah they seem to love the nights in the upper 60s. Be sure to bring in some of your potted chile plants inside to over winter. If you do that, you'll have loads of chiles in early August, maybe even late July next season. I have 3 year old Reaper plants that have tons of pods already formed. (in 13 gallon Pots) A couple of assam jolokia's loading up like crazy, along with a brainstrain and yellow 7. 

Good luck!

Never had good luck back home in NH when it came to peppers unless I started them really early indoors, like Dec/Jan. They take a while to set and ripen.

I have some peppers producing now, they were started in January. i also have some tomatoes that are around 7-8 feet tall and putting out fruits like crazy. 

Last time I grew any peppers was back when I lived in upstate NY, in the Albany area, and then it was only a couple bells and jalapenos purchased from a local nursery.  I'm learning that where I'm located now is about 2 weeks behind where I used to live, despite being in the same zone, surprisingly.  I was back down that way last week and saw that my buddy's garden is about the same stage that mine is, and he grew some reapers that didn't ripen until just before the first frost in early October.  Man those things were brutal!!  We ate some over Columbus day weekend last year, and while delicious, the only thing we found that worked to kill the burn was a swig of 160 proof vodka as mouthwash!  Just wanted a little more encouragement that I'll get some pods this season :P 

Update.  When I was moving my plants earlier this evening to their spots on the deck where they get morning sun, I noticed that I finally have multiple flowers on my red habs, they're on the smaller side, nowhere like the shrub sized plants others have,  but they're loaded with buds.  Things are looking up after these past few warmer days!

Back