• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

New enthusiastic grower

Hi,

New pepper grower from this summer. Although a few challenges (i.e. cold early summer, extra shaded backyard...), I managed to get a few plants going. I've tried a few plants in pots and others right in the garden. So far:
- 2 Buth Jolokias
- 2 Lemon Drops
- 2 Assams
- 2 Mustard Habs
- and the survivor: a tiny chocolate habanero

Plants are not all good looking but it is almost all producing some fruits. I'm still badly waiting for any sign of ripening though.

This is new to me and I wanted to share my exciting experience with you. To prove I'm telling the truth, a few shots at the link below :drooling:
My Peppers - Summer 2011

Cheers,
Benoît

Hi,

New pepper grower from this summer. Although a few challenges (i.e. cold early summer, extra shaded backyard...), I managed to get a few plants going. I've tried a few plants in pots and others right in the garden. So far:
- 2 Buth Jolokias
- 2 Lemon Drops
- 2 Assams
- 2 Mustard Habs
- and the survivor: a tiny chocolate habanero

Plants are not all good looking but it is almost all producing some fruits. I'm still badly waiting for any sign of ripening though.

This is new to me and I wanted to share my exciting experience with you. To prove I'm telling the truth, a few shots at the link below :drooling:
My Peppers - Summer 2011

Cheers,
Benoît
Cool! Keep it up! In a few seasons, you'll be growing monsters!

Looking good Benoît :cool:

Thanks!

I've looked at your pictures and your peppers look great. What's your secret?? Do you start them early inside with fluo lights or simply in your greenhouse? Do you wait late until you harvest?

BTW, really nice greenhouse you have. I wish I had one like this!

Benoit

Ya, I start plants early under floro lights and then into the greenhouse for Spring. Before I had greenhouses, plants would get moved in and out every warm day in the spring. Its too hot to really use the GH at all in the summer, even with exhaust fans and shade cloth.
Now I have an even bigger greenhouse but putting it up then the heating and maintenance is going to keep me busier and poorer than I really want to be, but I'm sure it will eventually pay off

Welcome, Nice looking "Ghost' pepper, should be ripening up soon, I missed out on growing the Mustard Hab this year, Always liked the flav and color and no 2 pods looked alike, good luck with the rest of your grow!

Ya, I start plants early under floro lights and then into the greenhouse for Spring. Before I had greenhouses, plants would get moved in and out every warm day in the spring. Its too hot to really use the GH at all in the summer, even with exhaust fans and shade cloth.
Now I have an even bigger greenhouse but putting it up then the heating and maintenance is going to keep me busier and poorer than I really want to be, but I'm sure it will eventually pay off

For my first try this year, I started the plants early March then took them progessively outside at daytime for the first 3 weeks of May. Then last week of May, they were finally full time outside. However, I'm still waiting for the first pod to ripen. It take so much time up here in our area! Anyway, can't wait to taste the first pepper.

You probably want to start your C. chinense plants a few months earlier than C. annuums and others. Most people, including myself, start C. chinenses in January or February. Its not just "up here" that they take so long to grow, its the way they are

Just an update:

Nights are getting cooler and days shorter up here. I was starting to wonder if I would ever get ripen peppers. Finally, the miracle happened!

1st ripen Bhut Jolokia
Bhut Jolokia

I also noticed first trace of yellow on a Lemon Drop pepper and I have a few Mustard Habs starting to change color. How exciting!

More pictures to come soon!

Benoit

http://www.flickr.com/photos/66288118@N03/sets/72157627416536496/

An update on my quest for the perfect pepper. :) More seriously, the evolution of my 1st growing experience:

Remember the picture I posted a few weeks ago of my 1st ripen Bhut Jolokia (see above)? Since I believe we should always taste what we grow, when the pepper was all ripen I decided it was time to give it a try (there's a new picture of it my wife took just before I ate it. Again see the slideshow above). While my wife filming, I ate the whole thing and.. I guess you know what happened. I thought I was gonna die!! :onfire: I was able to last 10 minutes before I had milk but it was so tough. I would say it took 20 minutes for the heat to become less intense. After 30 minutes I was fine and after 1 hour that was it. But that's not all. I woke up in the middle of the night with the heat now stock in my stomach. So I basically threw up for 2 hours straight. My wife was so proud of her stupid 35 yo teenager. Conclusion: once in a lifetime!

I added another picture of a few peppers I harvested this week: One Lemon Drop, two Mustard Habaneros and four Bhut Jolokias. We've had a few warmer days lately but we're getting to the end here in Canada. At least I proved what I wanted to: you can grow really hot things in my snow country.

Thanks for reading my learning experience.
Benoît

OMG - that greenhouse you had before was massive. You going into full-scale business now? :)

Chris

I've just added a couple more pictures. I tasted the mustard hab yesterday and it's pretty damn hot! For some reason my lemon drop plant had been full of pods for over 2 months but only one rippen pepper so far. And assam plants: not a single rippen pepper. :(

Soon, I'll have to bring inside 'survivor' chocolate habanero. He had a really tough time early this summer but managed to produce a few pods. Still need several weeks though.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/66288118@N03/sets/72157627416536496/

Thanks for reading me.
Benoit

This could very well be my last post for the 2011 season. This is getting to the end up here my friends.

Although not the dream summer, I managed to grow quiet a few peppers. A large bag full of mustard habs, assams, lemon drops and a lot of bhut jolokias! The "survivor" chocolate hab will be moved inside soon and hopefully ripe a few pods.

At least, considering it's my 1st year growing these, it is promising. And I think I proved we can grow munsters up here ;)

Here's the link to a "sample" picture of what I got this summer. From left to right: lemon drops, assams, bhut jolokias and mustard habs
http://www.flickr.com/photos/66288118@N03/6196261825/

For the last time, thanks for reading the journey of a new pepper grower.
Benoît

Back