• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds New germination box

I was getting tired of the plastic domes on the germination trays getting full of condensation and dripping down the sides and keeping the cells along the edges drenched (does anyone else have that problem?) And I was really fed up with taking off the dome and wiping out the moisture so i decided to build a box that I could see through and this way i could keep the temps a little more constant. So this is the result of my friday night. It only cost me about 18 bucks because I had most of the stuff laying around. The lights are only in there so i can look to see if anything has sprouted but I guess they help to maintain the heat also. The waterbed heater is under the frame far enough away from the trays so that i do not need to water as often also. This is very similar to AJ's rig, I liked the idea that you do not put a lid on your cell trays AJ thats what prompted me to use your idea. Anyway I really like it already.

Dale

pics114-1.jpg

pics110.jpg

Dale,

Looks like a futuristic microwave! Add a couple of Buttons:
1) Select Plant
2) Select Number Cells Sown
3) Press Start - seeds will appear in five days!

I like!

Mike

Dale, that is a real compliment to me that you would use something like me...extreme honor...

Like you, I just don' like messin' with the domes...

you may have seen this hint on another thread but if you will put a container of water with a little fan blowing gently across it, it will keep your humidity about 65% or so....

great looking rig Dale...

Pam, only 2 side by side but I am going to rig a shelf so that I can get four in it. The cell trays that i have in there now are 144's.

AJ, I'm honored that you are honored.

Dale

Dude! That is one sweet germination box. If I ever get anything that nice I won't know what to do with all the peppers I'll be sprouting. I might have to go on an all-peppers diet.

Wow, I love it Dale. How much would it cost to make one from scratch? Start manufacturing them and i'll buy one from you. lol. I have ZERO mechanical ability. :(

Chris

I would love to do that if only I could get my wife's cooperation in cleaning out our garage.... (grrrrr)

Back