• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

New Grow Box

I have a lit grow area thats 14 sq feet or so, that I use for seed starting and to get plants to 6-8 in before putting outside. Well I wanted to try an experiment...Since i recently enclosed my potting bench below, i wanted something I could do inside, during our blustery Orlando Winter... So I took the left over plywood, made a new box, since I already had it, might as well put it to use. If all else fails it will be a cabinet in the shed. I was watching some CFL grows on Utube, just to see what people were doin, well most are idiots... I already had a plan, but it reinforced my theory was better. So far i have <20 toad hides in it. I needed a lamp, so I cut a reflector shape from part of a water softener cover I was going to pitch anyway had the old lamp from remodeling the bathroom, and repourposed it. Few cuts with a circular saw, a few holes drilled, a little spray adhesive ( I bought it 4 bucks) and some reflective bubble wrap a friend gave me. BAM ezpz. Now sure how it will perform yet... hurts your eyes to look at. Total is 112 CFL watts, I will probably add 2 more, 1 on each side on the bottom shing up. With all the foil, and a sealed door, all light will be utilized, unlike so many Utuber's who just have them hanging in the open.
011.jpg

It's big enough for 2 DWC square buckets... one if it grows too big. But I also can double as a germination chamber. The reason the bottom isn't lined with foil is so the center shelf can be set on the bottom. i just figured it would be nice to not have to bend over so far in the beginning. When they get tell enough, I just set the shelf on the bottom. The trays each hold 30 horticubes, I figure that will be a decent ammount of starts to sell to help fund these crazy experiments... i could jam 5 in there bringing the total up to 150.
010-3.jpg

I still have to finish the door, it's cut... but it's too humid to get the HVLP out and spray it. I like to seal the wood before i glue the foil to it. Once i trim out the exterior, and get the door hung it will be time for ext paint. I still need to get a few comp fans and rig up a Tstat...

You live in Orlando and your winters are 'blustery'? So average lows in the high 40s is 'blustery' now? :rofl:

Looks like you got a nice box there for seedlings! I just wish I had your temps...

Looks real nice!!

I would be careful with those light bulbs being too close to the reflective insulation material. It might get hot and melt the material.

I ran the light for 24 hours out side just in case. But since it's a radiant barrier, most is reflected away. Yes 40-50 is blustery when ya lived here all my life.

Back