• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

new grow light...

got an old 75W/120V grow light at a yard sale for $1.50...
it still works and everything

just wondering, how good/better would this be for growing peppers than the shop lights i use?
also, how much do these usually cost new?

says "PLANT GRO N SHOW" on the bulb

I have some 65 watt grow lights I got that only ran me about 15-18 bucks. I have sinced switched to the t5s and have had much better results. What kind of shop lights do you use?

just a couple daylight bulbs from walmart...think they're 40w
they worked pretty well for me

i figured i'd just use the grow light if i was overwintering a plant or somethin

anything i should know about using this?
like how far i should have it away from my plants?

this is pretty much what it looks like, and it's by the same company
http://www.shopwiki.com/_120+Watt+Plant+Light+Bulb+/+R40+Style+%285%22+Diameter%29+/+Incandescent+Grow+Light?s=3885&o=1032258822&

so i guess it's incandescent

I think you can get "results" from almost any light. It just depends on what works for you. Some want to just keep the plant alive, so they use a small shop light or a couple of CFL bulbs. Some want ok results, but don't want to spend a lot on electricity so they get LED lights. Some want a huge crop and a more then enough peppers they can possibly consume in a grow season so they get HID lights with exhaust fans. It all depends on what results you are trying to get and how much your willing to pay for those results. The cost for a cheap shop light setup may be $10-$50 and only cost a few bucks a month to run. The cost for LED's will be a bit more up front, but you pay a lot less a month, and the cost for HID is a lot up front and a lot to run them each month. Like most things in life you get what you pay for...

It's an incandescent lamp, the least efficient light source. It will cost a lot more to run than Fluorescent, LED or HID.

Incandescent lamps also make a lot of waste heat.

Back