• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

indoor New Grow Tent

I ordered a grow tent from Amazon.com. It arrived today...w/o instructions! :rolleyes: Got it put together anyways but was kind of a PITA since it's rather large and I didn't have any assistance. It's dimensions are 4' x 4' x 6.5'.

http://www.amazon.com/Mylar-HYDROPO...e=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1269507302&sr=8-1

Seems to be made of rugged materials. Got the lighting installed. Using GE plants flouros.

So, do I still hang the lights only a few inches away from the seedlings even though the interior is mirrored mylar? When do I need to place a fan in there to strengthen the lil buggers up? I'm growing the seedlings in soil and not hydro. Any other tips or suggestions?

So much for this staying a cheap little hobby :doh:

The closer the seedlings are to the lights the better. They love cool light as young plants.

As for staying cheap it can be done. This is my second year of growing and the cost is wayyyyy less than a hundred dollars. I am lucky though.

Novacastrian said:
The closer the seedlings are to the lights the better. They love cool light as young plants.

As for staying cheap it can be done. This is my second year of growing and the cost is wayyyyy less than a hundred dollars. I am lucky though.

I just figure the start-up cost as a bit higher than I anticipated. It's my own fault really. I seem to have gone a bit overboard with things but I really wanted the grow tent and after calculations it was better to buy it than try and make it. Besides, now I have it and will be able to use it to good effect. My house doesn't have a south facing window and the goats have roam of the backyard presently.

No for real man goat is one of the tastiest meats around. Depends on what you feed them or what they can get in the wild ass snake and crocodile infested land we got here! :rofl:

Like if the goat takes a liking to a croc the goat wins every time, dont f#$% with a goat!

If you shoot a wild goat they smell terrible. You can actually find them through the smell they exude. heheh exude.

captainpepper said:
Should i buy some goats and feed 'em scotch bonnets for that extra special caribbean flavour then?:lol:

HELL YES!

Edit: Sorry for thr hijack..

Cap, they are skidish. Like ducks.

So much for the guys that write about goats.

Back on track. The tent is nice, but I would put a fan on them now as it can get a bit hot for small plants and the stalks will get thin fast. What type of lights are you using? I did the same thing and used a few hundred watts for small plants then moved up the light to a 400 watt MH when they where about 6 weeks then again to a 400 watt HPS to get fruit about 6 weeks later. I also picked up some cool tubes that helped me get the lights a LOT closer (about 6") from the plants as all the heat is contained in the tube and simply exhausted out.

First the goat replies. Yes they taste great. Yes they are actually good watch animals as they are quite skiddish. I have a La Mancha buck with horns and all, looks like a moutain goat (all white with a beard and all) as well as a whethered black and white Apline (read neutered male). They both rear up and play the lets bump my head against your hands or each other. Kind of funny. They also piss me off at times because they eat EVERYTHING! Even the bark off of my plum tree. I tried to put ground cayenne pepper paste on the areas they were eating and the damned things just licked it off and wandered around licking their lips! :crazy:

Next the grow tent. Thanks for the heads up about placing the fan sooner than later. Will go out and purchase one today. Will probably buy an additional lighing fixture to add in there as well. Already have the bulbs you see so whats another $10 for the fixture.

Presently have 2 GE T12 40W plant & aquarium bulbs in there. Also purchased a 2 pack of the GE 65K bulbs which is why I figured I would go out and buy another fixture to place them in. More light for plants = better growth right?

At what point should I do the intial transplant out of the seedling trays? They have only popped though 12 days ago. TIA.

I would pot up to a larger pot when they have 2 sets of true leaves. The more roots they have the better they transplant IME, just don't want them to get root bound. If they popped 12 days ago and are growing well, it is probably getting close to time to do so. What are you planning to pot up to? I use the 3.5" square plastic pots and lots here use solo cups.

I really like that tent and the price is great. I may just have to get one or two myself.:lol: They would be great for seedlings and overwintering plants.

jacob

jjs7741 said:
I really like that tent and the price is great. I may just have to get one or two myself.:lol: They would be great for seedlings and overwintering plants. jacob

That's why I figured it was best to go ahead and buy it. I will say that it seems to be made of good material and I am happy with it so far. It has 3 fan vent holes and two side vent mesh areas as well. I think its a pretty good deal for what you get.

Is your goal to just grow them in the tent for a few weeks and then put them outside or to make the tent an "INSIDE GROW" area for a few plants all year round? If your going to leave them in the tent for a little while your going to need much more light. Of course they will grow with less light, but you won't get a 3' plant in a couple of months.

LIGHT: I plan on using this as a starter location and after the weather heats up moving the plants to containers outside. Bear in mind that where I live is called the "wet side" instead of the west side of Washington. Winters are wet and grey. No real snow to speak of aside from that which caps the mountains due to the proximity of the Pacific Ocean. Summers here are sunny and long, at least from my experience in the last two.
I'm not going to start with a MH or HPS light system this year. It's my first year growing anything and whilst it's evident that I do not subscribe to the "baby steps" methodology I am not ready for the investment required for the aforementioned systems.

I also plan on using the tent for overwintering of my favorite plants whilst the others will be relegated to the garage. Thanks for your input.

Back