New Grower from New York

[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]Good Evening THPers.[/background]

[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]I just wanted to introduce myself to the forum, my name is Matt and I was born and raised in Brooklyn NY and my wife and I recently purchased our first home in Oceanside , Long Island last summer. Grew up my whole life in an apartment and always wanted to grow vegetables - i guess not being able to do something makes you want to do it more. [/background][background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]I am currently finishing up the rebuild process after Sandy and decided i wasn't going to wait another year to start growing vegetables so I built some raised planters out of cedar and bought some starts from CCN (4 tomatoes, 2 eggplants & 8 peppers). I also plan on trying to get some more starts from nurseries if they got a good selection.[/background]

[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]I plan on starting a GLOG very soon and will show some of the few pics i have thus far in my first time growing journey![/background]

[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]Hoping to get some nice weather soon so my babies can stay outside full time :)[/background]

[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]Matt [/background]

:welcome: from sunny South Florida! :woohoo:

Hi, and welcome from France !

Running a glog is a good idea, best way to improve yourself I think.

Long Island, is a great place I guess. That were my favourite writer (Marguerite Yourcenar) used to live.

¡Hola! and welcome from south FL
880smile-1.png

[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]Good Evening THPers.[/background]

[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]I just wanted to introduce myself to the forum, my name is Matt and I was born and raised in Brooklyn NY and my wife and I recently purchased our first home in Oceanside , Long Island last summer. Grew up my whole life in an apartment and always wanted to grow vegetables - i guess not being able to do something makes you want to do it more. [/background][background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]I am currently finishing up the rebuild process after Sandy and decided i wasn't going to wait another year to start growing vegetables so I built some raised planters out of cedar and bought some starts from CCN (4 tomatoes, 2 eggplants & 8 peppers). I also plan on trying to get some more starts from nurseries if they got a good selection.[/background]

[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]I plan on starting a GLOG very soon and will show some of the few pics i have thus far in my first time growing journey![/background]

[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]Hoping to get some nice weather soon so my babies can stay outside full time :)[/background]

[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]Matt [/background]

:welcome: from the U.P. of Michigan, good luck with your season. We probably have a similar climate, though I don't have the tricky situation of having an apartment in downtown New York, haha! Anyway, with eggplant, if you've never grown before, they really need a headstart to produce fruit. I would start seeds in January under grow lights to have a good shot at getting fruits in Northeast climates.

You may already know this, but Hicks garden center in Hicksville is huge and has an excellent selection of just about everything. I have found some interesting heirloom tomatoes there and I'm sure they will have a better selection of chilies than HD. Prices are what you'd expect on LI, but the selection and quality are excellent.

Hendrix1326 said:
:welcome: from the U.P. of Michigan, good luck with your season. We probably have a similar climate, though I don't have the tricky situation of having an apartment in downtown New York, haha! Anyway, with eggplant, if you've never grown before, they really need a headstart to produce fruit. I would start seeds in January under grow lights to have a good shot at getting fruits in Northeast climates.
I used to live in apartment in nyc - now i have a house on long island :). Thanks for advice on eggplant - next season i will be starting from seed, this year i am doing all starts. Good luck with your grow season. I will be in detroit in 2 weeks for business :)

SacFly said:
You may already know this, but Hicks garden center in Hicksville is huge and has an excellent selection of just about everything. I have found some interesting heirloom tomatoes there and I'm sure they will have a better selection of chilies than HD. Prices are what you'd expect on LI, but the selection and quality are excellent.
Never heard of hicks garden but will check it out when im around that neck of the woods- thanks for advice. Other than some herbs this year, i don't plan on doing anymore starts and I will be growing from seed next season since ill have more time and less renovation going on.

Plants are in the ground :)

Back