• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

New guy looking to start

I make homemade jerky and every time I do I have to buy peppers. I've decided that I want to move more toward making it all myself and the next step is growing some peppers. I've picked out 3 kinds of pepper (2 for jerky and 1 for salsa though all could be used for either) that should be good for my needs and taste. I've seen that they can grow good in an 8" pot, and I was wondering if I could get pots big enough to grow 2 plants (from the same species) as I don't have a garden or anywhere to make one. Would I simply need to double the size? If you're wondering I'm ordering seeds for: Peruvian white habanero (salsa), Jalapeño, and chocolate habanero plants.

Hi Caleb and :welcome:

If you tight on space why not get a couple of Kratky peppers growing. Real simple and maintenance free (sort of). Takes up very little space also.

Peruvian white habanero - My all time favorite

It's not that I'm low on space... I have a decent size yard, but a couple of years ago we put down sod on the whole thing and so I can't go and bust up an area for a garden, but I can get some pots and sit out. I'm wanting to grow 5-6 plants (2 of each most likely) so I was just wondering if they would grow fine with 2 in a larger pot for a little more compactness.

In my experience, the larger the pot, the larger the plant. Of course soil, nutrient uptake, lighting etc. all play a part in that. I have never been able to get a plant to grow very large in anything less than a 3 gal pot. I am currently growing a few in 27 gal containers and they dwarf everything that I have in the 3 and 5 gallon pots. I wouldnt suggest growing 2 in the same container unless it is large enough to support a pretty good sized root system. It will work, but I wouldnt expect them to produce much... Just my opinion. Im sure someone way smarter than myself has figured out a way to make it work. Good luck!

I was thinking the size of like a 30 gal rubbermade bucket tote... they also have rectangle ones that are 30 gal... it would be a little shallower, but would the rectangle planter shape work better for multiple plants?

Have a look at these two links for ideas

Biggy's grow. It's hydro, but will give you an idea of how big the plants can get overall. Look at posts #1 and #18 for spacing between individual plants to decide what size you need for multiple plants in one pot
http://thehotpepper.com/topic/63524-biggy-indoor-2017/

Swampy's grow. He did a pot size vs pod yield and this will give you an idea of optimal volume for each plant.
http://thehotpepper.com/topic/54322-35-kg-harvestpod-yield-vs-pot-size-comparison-and-thoughts/page-2?hl=swampy

I suspect that if you willing to go to 30gal(114ltr) then you will be fine at 10gal(38ltr) per plant and that rectangle might be the way to go if you can get better spacing.

I just had a look at 30gal rubbermaid on google. Are they taller than wider cos then you may only be able to get two peppers per tub.

My thoughts

The round 30 gal ones are but the rectangular ones are 2 square sides (deep as they are wide) and then almost 2 times as long as they are deep.

I'm wanting 2 plants per tub, one tub per pepper type

heya, welcome! this place is amazing, you will be able to find anything you need here. info, seeds, plans, the whole enchilada. enjoy your summer!!!

Back