• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

new hyro system

102_0221.jpg

Here's my first attempt at hydroponics. I'm using 5 gal frosting buckets filled with pea gravel. I have 1000w hps lamp on them. .5hp pump running through 3/4 pvc. I just drilled 1/8" holes over each pot.

I either need to sync the light and pump so one is off and the other on or get an electrician as having both on trips the 20amp fuse.

I have tomatoes in the front two rows with peppers from seeds sent by wayright in the back. I've also interspersed various and sundry lettuces around the edges of the pots.

Setup looks awesome,Hope it works good for you.! I may have to try something like that..Looks easy enough even for me!
Keep us updated on the progress! :)
Kevin

very cool,

isnt that pump waaaaay excessive? i mean my parents 24,000gallon pool uses a 2hp pump. one would assume then that 1/2 hp could run a 6000 gallon pool!
do you recirculate the run off?

why not use a 500gpm submersible pump with 1/2" pvc or even 3/8 irrigation hose as a manifold with 1/4" drip tubing feeding each pot?

if you really want to use that pump... then why not wire a normally closed contractor off of the line heading into your ballast. this will stay open while it is getting power...and then close the circut when the power shuts off.

this however would require some moderate electrical knowledge, i can help you with that if you wish but im no expert.

right on good luck! I hear that MH is better than HPS for foliage and HPS is better once they start flowering. The expensive thing is that darn ballast!

Hmmm I would check what else you have tied into that breaker. 1000 watts at 120 volts is about 8.33 amps. That would leave about 7.67 amps to keep you at 80% load on that breaker. How many watts does your pump draw?

very cool,

isnt that pump waaaaay excessive? i mean my parents 24,000gallon pool uses a 2hp pump. one would assume then that 1/2 hp could run a 6000 gallon pool!
do you recirculate the run off?

why not use a 500gpm submersible pump with 1/2" pvc or even 3/8 irrigation hose as a manifold with 1/4" drip tubing feeding each pot?

if you really want to use that pump... then why not wire a normally closed contractor off of the line heading into your ballast. this will stay open while it is getting power...and then close the circut when the power shuts off.

this however would require some moderate electrical knowledge, i can help you with that if you wish but im no expert.

I got the pump relatively cheap on ebay. I was more worried about not having enough power. I believe it does 3200 gph. :)

What's a "normally closed contractor"

right on good luck! I hear that MH is better than HPS for foliage and HPS is better once they start flowering. The expensive thing is that darn ballast!

Got two of them (they do mh and hps, but came with a hps) plus 2 90 mostly red led ufo's plus nutes, a ph monitor, a ppm monitor for a measly $350 off a guy on craigslist. He decided he didn't have the time for it. I was blessed.

Hmmm I would check what else you have tied into that breaker. 1000 watts at 120 volts is about 8.33 amps. That would leave about 7.67 amps to keep you at 80% load on that breaker. How many watts does your pump draw?
Well there's a deep freeze and my oil radiator keeping the garage warm and my seedlings.

Got two of them (they do mh and hps, but came with a hps) plus 2 90 mostly red led ufo's plus nutes, a ph monitor, a ppm monitor for a measly $350 off a guy on craigslist. He decided he didn't have the time for it. I was blessed.
:party:
Holy crap thats a DEAL! Great find, that craigslist is awesome.

a contactor is just a high load relay basically. you need a contactor because your pump is huge and probably draws like 5 amps on start up.

a normally closed contactor would keep the circuit open when power is applied, and close the circuit when power is off.
but i wouldnt even bother with that, i just looked them up and there like 50 bucks! a N.O. contactor is like 7 bucks.

why not try one of these
http://www.plantlightinghydroponics.com/cap-ptc2-night-on-photocell-timer-p-2672.html
supposedly rated for 15 amps... id look up some reviews tho, might be bunk equipment.

you could also just getting a smaller mag drive type of pump.

I grow 12 chiles in hydro with a pump that draws 75 watts, or less than 1/10hp. Pumps 450 gph (gallons per hour) at 2' head.

1/2 hp pump is massive overkill.

Well there's a deep freeze and my oil radiator keeping the garage warm and my seedlings.

Yep that's quite a few watts right there. Is there a receptacle on a different breaker within extension cord reach.

I got a 20amp. Maybe I need a 30.

Not sure. If you tell me the watts on the pump, freezer, and heater I can tell you. Your only supposed to use 80% of what a breaker can handle. So...if you have a 20 amp breaker you should really only use 16 amps up. I think it is just a safety thing. In terms of actually replacing that breaker you would also need to replace the wiring. For a 20 amp they run #12 but for a 30 you need to go up to #10.

Do you have a MH light? HPS are typically used to flower a plant that is already fully grown and ready to produce fruit. Even if your HPS light is a full spectrum Eye Hortilux light it will only have a small amount of light geared to help the plant grow. Get them under a MH until they are ready to flower then move them to an HPS.

Do you have a MH light? HPS are typically used to flower a plant that is already fully grown and ready to produce fruit. Even if your HPS light is a full spectrum Eye Hortilux light it will only have a small amount of light geared to help the plant grow. Get them under a MH until they are ready to flower then move them to an HPS.
No I don't have one. But the ballast can take one. Thanks for the tip. I'll look and see if anyone local has one and if not order one.

Back