New member from Alabama

I have been making hot sauces for decades but have found new excitement after retirement with all the pepper varieties I can now grow. I am also getting ready to try fermented hot sauces. Like many, Dave DeWitt's books started my journey when they was first published. Before that, I was trying to reproduce sauces my wife and I encountered in rural Mexico while exploring caves nearly fifty years ago.

I am fortunate to have a long growing season although my space is somewhat limited. We are always looking for new peppers to grow and enjoy. I This afternoon, I will be experimenting with a Pineapple-Lemon Drop jam.

I look forward to what I can learn from the group.

Thanks for the welcome messages!

The Pineapple-Lemon Drop Jam turned out well and has a mellow yellow color. I should be a winner with goat cheese or cream cheese.

Today's project is a rework of Dave Dewitt's recipe in "Sweet Heat" for Blueberry-Ancho Jam. I made it twice before and, perhaps it is just me, I seem to get a gritty mouth feel from the powdered Ancho. I think I will take a page from Mexican cooks and toast some Whole Ancho pods (seeded and torn in half) and rehydrate them in hot water. After the soak, I can blend into a smooth puree before adding to the cooked blueberries. I might take the entire batch on with an immersion blender to get q smooth jam.
I'll let you know how it goes.

Back