• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

New Mex Anaheim

When to pick green or red? I have a plant that has literally dozens of green but when do you eat them I thought green?

Since there quite a few I will try both ways -- wasnt sure if I was going to commit a cardinal sin and miss out :)

I'll try and cut some up for a relish tonight --

I am letting all my "chili" peppers ripen to their final color...anaheims, pasilo bajio, cascabel, big jim, etc....after dehydration, I will then mix the dried pepper powder to give me the color chili powder base I use to make chili with...you can adjust the color using the different powders...I am looking for a deep dark rich red looking powder...the pasillos will be used for darkening as will the cascabels...

taste is another issue...the the color and taste I want is going to be challenging...not worried about heat 'cause I will have plenty of that from other peppers...

The only ones I will pick while still green will be the ancho/poblanos...and they will be stuffed...mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Arn't Anaheim's meant to be hotter red? I know they're used both green and red. The only ones I'd ever pick of my varieties this year green are the Jalapenos but it's a bit hard to do that with the chileman comp going on.

now i carnt wait to get my tonsils round them to try,but only flowers at the mo so little while to wait :rolleyes:

I just roasted a bunch more along with some eggplant and made an awesome soup. I also just picked a nice huge semi-ripe one for stuffin' around 22 cm.

I'll wait nice pic Potawie I have a few that size I'll wait a bit longer and stuff them that sounds awesome and by that time Biker Billy Jap's will be ready as well

They are great both ways,I make rellanos with both colors,seem to be a bit thinner at the red stage.One thing I loved was dehydrating some green ones,a fantastic seasoning!

Back