• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

New Mexico Chile

Thought I saw this chile mentioned somewhere on the forum???

New Mexico Takes Its Chile Very Seriously. Even the Spelling.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/27/us/27chile.html?emc=eta1

Oh yeah, the NuMex (Barkers & Big Jim)

Thanks for the article, pretty good read.

I'm a proponent of the chilE spelling. That's the correct Spanish spelling, from where the word comes. No reason to change it just because some people across the ponds can't seem to differentiate between the country and the plant. :) Firefox spell check disagrees with me though. :mad:

Excellent excellent article. The info in this article is so true. I have experienced personally for many years what the effect of the green chiles imported from Mexico and sold cheaply as "Hatch Chiles" has done to the reputation and success of the Hatch farmers. This has gone on for so many years, that many many green chile eaters don't know they are eating the cheap imposters. These shysters can legally get away with this practice by hauling their truckloads of chiles to the city of Hatch and they bag and put Hatch labels there. Beware of the grocery store selling sacks of "Hatch" chiles for cheap prices. The quality green chiles from the Mesilla Valley cannot be grown, processed, and shipped across the state or country and be sold near as cheap as the awful tasting ones from the other side of the border. This is a perfect example of cheap imports killing the local farmers's business and reputation. I need to take a chill pill. This subject always gets me riled.

I'm a proponent of the chilE spelling. That's the correct Spanish spelling, from where the word comes. No reason to change it just because some people across the ponds can't seem to differentiate between the country and the plant. :) Firefox spell check disagrees with me though. :mad:

I prefer the general chilli/chili/chile/chilly differentiation, just because it makes it easier to work out what is being talked about.

Chilli - Hot fruited plants.
Chili - Red-brown foodstuff made from chilli and other stuff depending on location.
Chile - A country. They have some chilli there. And maybe some chili too.
Chilly - What you don't feel after eating chilli/chili.

So you can eat a nice hot-chilli chili in Chile to avoid feeling chilly. ;)

Our local grocery markets which sell hot chilies are probably the cheap imposters, they taste terrible. One of the reasons why I grow my own. :P

Thanks for the article, pretty good read.

I downloaded IE Spellcheck a couple years ago & it seems to work on Google chrome as well.

http://www.iespell.com/
http://www.iespell.com/images/screenshot2k.PNG

Back