smokers New Smoker

Even easier firebox for UDSs is 48"X9" expanded metal will give you a 15" diameter 9" tall ring. Stick a 15" circle of ExM on the bottom, bolt it all to a 16" pizza pan w/ 2 or 3" standoffs. Done. You can bolt the ends of the 4' strip and have it adjustable, or weld the ends together. Want it taller? Make the 4' strip wider. Diameter change? Your desired diameter X PI is the length you want. Add an inch for overlap. NBD. Unfortunately, my pizza pan turned out to be only 14"...Gotta make my ring smaller for now.
If you really wanna have fun, I know where there's a forum with a thread on building UDS with over 210 pages!! That's a book!!
dk

azkitch said:
Even easier firebox for UDSs is 48"X9" expanded metal will give you a 15" diameter 9" tall ring. Stick a 15" circle of ExM on the bottom, bolt it all to a 16" pizza pan w/ 2 or 3" standoffs. Done. You can bolt the ends of the 4' strip and have it adjustable, or weld the ends together. Want it taller? Make the 4' strip wider. Diameter change? Your desired diameter X PI is the length you want. Add an inch for overlap. NBD. Unfortunately, my pizza pan turned out to be only 14"...Gotta make my ring smaller for now.
If you really wanna have fun, I know where there's a forum with a thread on building UDS with over 210 pages!! That's a book!!
dk

a pizza pan will not give you proper air flow

expanded metal on the base wont hold up to the constant high temps of the charcoal..it will warp... get a replacement charcoal weber grate..handle optional

i know the same thread..it is posted as a reference here as well..i am a fellow brethren member just go by a different name on it

n1025193173_30463538_713048.jpg

hey bam , do you know where I could get unlined food grade barrels in S.W. ontario? I am seriously wanting to build a UDS now but don't want to get stuck with some old drum that used to hold chemicals or whatnot.

Ashen said:
hey bam , do you know where I could get unlined food grade barrels in S.W. ontario? I am seriously wanting to build a UDS now but don't want to get stuck with some old drum that used to hold chemicals or whatnot.
You can buy ones that help vegetable oil, or even milk. Just search around. I'll take a look for you.

Ashen said:

food grade is overated..lol

once you start a fire in a food grade barrel, its gonna give off toxic crap anyways... get a good clean barrel preferablly with a lid. burn it, sand it out, build it,season, enjoy

BamsBBQ said:
a pizza pan will not give you proper air flow

expanded metal on the base wont hold up to the constant high temps of the charcoal..it will warp... get a replacement charcoal weber grate..handle optional

i know the same thread..it is posted as a reference here as well..i am a fellow brethren member just go by a different name on it

n1025193173_30463538_713048.jpg

That's where I'm going...That's beautiful there! I have a #9x 3/4" expanded metal grate in my Brink, and I'm impressed so far. I thought it'd already be screwed up after 3 6 hour cooks, and still looks good...pizza pan under the 3" standoffs shouldn't block air, should it? I was gonna hold the thing together with bolts until I got a weber or cast grate for the bottom...
dk
I'm also over at azbarbeque.com, where ddog is from...great people.

Mine was not food grade... I think it had etholeen or some crap in it. I have cooked on more time than I can count on my hands, and never been sick. :) But I spent a night of beer drinking buring it out.:drunk::beer::cheers:

Back