• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

New South African Pepper

Here's my first fruit from this plant:

uyababajan2010.jpg

Similar in shape to a Cayenne it is larger and has three distinct kinks near the calyx...

cayennevsuyababajan2010.jpg

I've sent seeds to several of you, and now we both know what they look like! ;)

What's the heat and flavor like? I know of a few peppers with the "three distinct kinks " although most have larger pods. Yours looks small for a cayenne but doesn't rule it out
Here's the ones I can remember: Turkish cayenne, Jimmy Nardello, CAYENNE LONG THICK RED, and certain Italian pepperoncinis(unknown variety)
It appears only one pod in your pic has the "three distinct kinks " or zigzag as I like to call it:)

Yeah, the one with three kinks is indeed the Uyababa, POTAWIE. The other three are Cayenne, which is at least 20% smaller. (See the labels?)

Uyababa is a seed sold by SA's largest seedling growers, so might well have been bred from some form of Cayenne in the past.

Jimmy Nardello is four times thicker than Uyababa, and is much straighter....or at least the seeds I received from the forum have produced a plant which fits that description.

Regarding heat and flavour: I shall sacrifice the pod this evening for the good of the forum, and report back! :lol:

Thanks for responding..

Flavour is medium hot with initial infusion of sweetness and good flavour. Perhaps a 3.5 on the rectum scale...;-)

Actually rather pleasant!

huntsman said:
Jimmy Nardello is four times thicker than Uyababa, and is much straighter....or at least the seeds I received from the forum have produced a plant which fits that description.

Nope, I need spectacles. I confused the Joe E. Parker with the Jimmy Nardello. Sorry for the confusion.

Back