• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

New Tests!

When are they (whoever they are) going to test a Douglah to see how hot it is? A Brain strain too! Or is there a reason, like being newer crosses or something that prevents an official test? In other words, who decides what and when to test and what are the requirements (if any) for a chili to have?

I believe that hybrids nead 3 or 4 generations to form a stable hybrid cross.
Otherwise you could eat one pepper and melt your face and another might only be habanero kick.

There is also the cost to get it tested.

If I am not mistaken it is closer to 8 seasons to be fully stable. The Trinidad Scorpion "Butch T" was pursued by the Aussies that loved it. IMO had they not pushed it the testing wouldn't have have happened, and I am sure have a field of them growing helped too.

I don't know a lot about this but I am pretty sure those are strains and not crosses.Seems like a lot of politics involved with testing. Habanero500 has posted test info on douglah and different 7 pot strains. Might want to read some of it.

Here's a link to the New Mexico State University "The Chili Pepper institute". "they" LOL
As far as I know, this is where it all happens, testing, Capsicum studies, scoville ratings, etc.
Chili "Grand Central". I've seen it on TV before, and it's a pretty intensive study they do.

Here's an excerpt...
"Paul Bosland, co-founder and director of the CPI, was responsible for finding the world's hottest chile pepper, the Bhut Jolokia.
In the fall of 2006, the Guinness Book of Records confirmed Bosland's discovery."

Check it out...

http://www.chilepepperinstitute.org/

The Douglah has been tested here and acheived about 800,000 shu. BUT the pods tested were not at their prime.

i've always found it puzzling that there isn't a more precisely definable standard than the scoville scale... some sort of chromatography or something...

For testing High Pressure Liquid Chromatography is used. They covert those results to the Schoville scale so we can understand the results.

Back