• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

New to growing Chilli plants

Hi All,

I need help in growing and looking after my newly acquired Chilli plants as the infos I've read so far on the net regarding, ph, ferts (potassium, calcium, phosphorous etc) is a little bit confusing to me :rolleyes:

Here's plant 1
Red Habanero (about 20cm in height)
Leaves are a little bit Curly. is that a sign of something?
Do I need to transplant it now? (from it's 5cm square pot)
What do I feed it? How often?
403720_10150842046696729_590851728_10930269_807168894_n.jpg

Plant 2
Aji Amarillo
Does this one look healthy and Ok?
404261_10150842046956729_590851728_10930272_69159179_n.jpg

Thanks in advance for your help :)

Cheers
Josh

They look rootbound. After transplanting, a bit of weak fertilizer to start off with would help a bit with the yellowing leaves. Don't want to burn precious plants.

Yeah they need to be re-potted for sure.

I'm still new at this so don't take my word as God.

1. Be careful with watering, it is all too easy to over water chilli plants, especially when their young with a small root system
2. Nursery plants maybe easy to start, and for your first attempt is ok. But don't be surprised if the plants aren't what they claim them to be. Also you can pick pests from Nurserys
3. Is best to grow from seed, and get your seeds from a good supplier eg, hippyseed company, or from the members of this board. Don't buy seeds from ebay
4. You want to start your seeds early in the season, say September, bit late to start seeds now.
5. I don't know that you will get alot of chillies off of these plants this year, but they should survive the winter and grow better next year, just make sure they don't get any frost in the Winter.

Make sure to read the Glogs forum. You can learn alot from reading the grow logs. ;) Takes time but it is worth it.

As far as potting mix and ferts go, I would start with something simple for now....

9L Brunnings Easy Wetta Coir-Peat Brick (the one without added ferts)
25L Coles (or Brunnings even) plain Potting Mix (once again, no added ferts or anything)
1L-1.5L Dynamic Lifter pellets
and Perlite is always a good idea to help keep the mix aerated and drain well (2-3L should be sufficient)

Mix it all together and you're ready to roll. Once potted up, water well with Seasol (or any liquid seaweed) and worm juice if you can get your hands on some.

As Dynamic Lifter is slow release it should keep 'em well fed for at least 2 months and is gentle on young plants.

Yeah they need to be re-potted for sure.

I'm still new at this so don't take my word as God.

1. Be careful with watering, it is all too easy to over water chilli plants, especially when their young with a small root system
2. Nursery plants maybe easy to start, and for your first attempt is ok. But don't be surprised if the plants aren't what they claim them to be. Also you can pick pests from Nurserys
3. Is best to grow from seed, and get your seeds from a good supplier eg, hippyseed company, or from the members of this board. Don't buy seeds from ebay
4. You want to start your seeds early in the season, say September, bit late to start seeds now.
5. I don't know that you will get alot of chillies off of these plants this year, but they should survive the winter and grow better next year, just make sure they don't get any frost in the Winter.

Make sure to read the Glogs forum. You can learn alot from reading the grow logs. ;) Takes time but it is worth it.

Start seeds early in the season like September ??
Isn't that too early ? Whats your location ?

Sydney Australia so Sept is start of spring, personally you could start bit earlier with right setup with lights etc but not something I know anything about really. Personally I think you Americans have better info on growing indoors, I'm just trying to give basic info.

Some nice points of making your own potting mix Gas. Shame Brisy is too far for you to come over and look after my plants for me. :rofl: I bet they would be twice as big as they are now.

Sydney Australia so Sept is start of spring, personally you could start bit earlier with right setup with lights etc but not something I know anything about really. Personally I think you Americans have better info on growing indoors, I'm just trying to give basic info.

Some nice points of making your own potting mix Gas. Shame Brisy is too far for you to come over and look after my plants for me. :rofl: I bet they would be twice as big as they are now.
That makes perfect sense. Duh .. !!
I started some ghost peppers on dec 4 and last week I decided to order more seeds to have a variety of superhots and not just ghost peppers..
I placed an order thru TheHippyseedcompany and should be getting them next week... I ordered Trinidad scorpion butch T, fatalii, douglah 7 pod, yellow 7 pod, choc habanero... I'm a bit concerned that maybe I'm a bit too late to start those peppers. What do you guys think ?

Thanks Gasificada! great advice there mate! Thanks as well Jayman! I'm writing all these notes down before I head off to Bunnings! :halo:

Cheers
Josh

It's actually the mix Neil (The Hippy Seed Co) suggested to me a couple years back (except I went ahead and started adding the perlite). I certainly can't take credit for it.

On second thought too, probably better to go the Coles potting mix than the Brunnings one. Just opened a Brunnings one today and the chunks of bark in it were massive.

Back