• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds New to growing from seeds.

I have managed to get this far in my project of starting hot peppers from seeds.  Now I have a few questions even after reading through some articles;

Is the humidity dome a bad idea at this point?

At what point is it best to transplant the seedlings into a soil, and do I transplant the peat pot with it or separate the seedling from the peat pot?

WNGOzmd.jpg

Welcome Grit!  I have several of the same 72 cell peat pod trays going now in my basement.  I usually keep the dome on until the plants have their first sets of true leaves, and I transplant to 4" pots or solo cups after.  I plant the whole peat pod (Take the netting OFF!) and try to get the plants set far enough down that the peat is covered by soil.

The dome isn't bad for them and keeps the rest of the pods moist until the seeds sprout.  You can pull any plugs that have their first set of leaves and move to larger containers under another light if you want.  Some plants can take up to 30 days to germinate.  :)

make sure not to put a fan on them directly after you take them out of the dome. I've made the mistake of potting up into 4x4 cups and turning the fan on that day and it gave the tender cotyledons wind burn. They are the most important part of the plant and help feed them as they grow.. They will fall off in time and that's OK but you will chance loosing the sprouts if you damage them right away.

Welcome BTW
Mike

Helvete said:
Everyone has had good points so far especially take the net off the pucks when you transplant them.  The peat pucks often develop a little bit of a green slime to them, it's harmless and not worth worrying about.

Facts like these are the reason I searched out and found this wonderful website.  

Patience is probably the most important thing for your plants now.   Don't rush them, and listen to the previous couple posts and you will be fine.  Just remember,  sometimes plants die and there is little to nothing we can do to prevent it.  Despite what all of our egos tell us.  

Enjoy the ride! 

Everyone has their own methods.

I usually take the dome off when my lights are on after the majority of seeds have germinated, but put the dome on at night; when the lights are off, to keep the seedlings warm, and help retain moisture.

I like to wait until the seedlings have three sets of true leaves before transplanting. I am also using coir plugs, rather than peat.

While I do not take the netting off the plugs, I slice the sides in four places and make an 'X' on the bottom of the netting with a razor blade before placing into the new medium.

Thank you all of the greetings and for advice and guidance, makes me wish I had stuck to my plans and started my plants in late December. Something to look forward to this winter I suppose.

SmokenFire said:
Welcome Grit!  I have several of the same 72 cell peat pod trays going now in my basement.  I usually keep the dome on until the plants have their first sets of true leaves, and I transplant to 4" pots or solo cups after.  I plant the whole peat pod (Take the netting OFF!) and try to get the plants set far enough down that the peat is covered by soil.

The dome isn't bad for them and keeps the rest of the pods moist until the seeds sprout.  You can pull any plugs that have their first set of leaves and move to larger containers under another light if you want.  Some plants can take up to 30 days to germinate.   :)
So far I believe I have lucked out with my moisture level, though last night when I was inspecting them after work I found the pots were warm and dry to the touch while dome was bone dry. I added approximately 400ml (1 2/3 cups) of gassed off water to the tray. The tray is mostly dry this morning and the dome is misty with droplets again, is this to much water?

Info on my set-up if needed.
The tray is placed on a heating pad with a thermostat set to maintain a temperature of 26C/79F, the heating pad is on two pieces of foiled bubble wrap, sitting in a South exposed window. During the day with the Sun shining everything is fine, while at night I currently have to cover the domed tray with a dome made of the foiled bubble wrap as the window area gets too cold overnight as last night's outside temperature went down to -11C/12F last time I checked.

I remove plants from the dome once they are upright. You do not want access humidity and moisture as that just invites fungus and mold. Not to mention your blocking fresh air flow and good light. And you don't need to remove the netting yet. But before you transplant you need, not should but need to remove the netting. If you don't you will root bound the plant and stunt its growth. And probably will never get it to fruit. If it does produce the peppers will be small and funky looking.

I am
SvtCobra said:
I remove plants from the dome once they are upright. You do not want access humidity and moisture as that just invites fungus and mold. Not to mention your blocking fresh air flow and good light. And you don't need to remove the netting yet. But before you transplant you need, not should but need to remove the netting. If you don't you will root bound the plant and stunt its growth. And probably will never get it to fruit. If it does produce the peppers will be small and funky looking.
I am going to have to come up with something as I have seedlings touching the roof of the dome now. Any suggestions on pot size or can I jump right into red solo cups?

Grit said:
I am
I am going to have to come up with something as I have seedlings touching the roof of the dome now. Any suggestions on pot size or can I jump right into red solo cups?
 You go from peet pellet straight to solo cup. Your seedlings are hitting the dome because they are stretching for light. That's why you need to get them out.

Back