• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

New to Growing, Help me Choose!

Greetings

I have loved chilli for a long time and have finally decided to grow some of my own for use in cooking and sauces, but I am having difficulty settling on a few types to grow. I was initially planning on 3 plants but reading through some threads and seeing peoples opinions on different varieties I have decided to up it to 5. I am looking for a nice selection varying in taste and heat. I will be growing in Brisbane, Australia and from what I have heard the climate is quite good for growing all year round.

I am looking to get a selection of 1 really hot, 1 medium hot, 1 mild and 2 fruity exotic types. A few I am set on growing will be the Aji Limon Chilli (Lemon drop) and the Naga Bhut Jolokia (Ghost) Scorpion (Peach). I have been thinking of the last 3 to be the Bishops Crown, Long Thin Cayenne and the Red Rocoto Manzano but have read good things about the Fatalii and the various Naga Bhut Jolokia peppers. From my research I have learned that Cayenne peppers are reasonably good as a health food and the Rocoto Manzano tend to grow well and produce all year round.

If i was to categorize what I've chosen it is unfinished and looks like this:
Hot -
Medium - Cayenne/Rocoto
Mild - Bishops Crown
Exotic - Peach Naga Bhut Jolokia
Exotic - Lemon Drop

(the Peach Naga could also be the Hot one I am looking for)

I guess I'm a perfectionist and I would like to settle on a solid variety and that's why I would like to ask more experienced growers and those who have tasted more to lend me their opinions. I guess I can choose to grow different types over time but to begin with i would like a robust selection. What do you guys think?

manzano/rocoto are a bit hard to grow esp for first timers. might want to stay away this year or you can try but don't get too excited lol.

lemon drop is good choice for anyone.
peach bhut or naga is good and usually very productive

might want a bigger good producer medium hot pepper for sauce, like bahamian goat or scotch bonnet.

Thanks for the responses.
Browsing some of the 'Favourite Peppers' threads I have seen the Bahamian Goat recommended numerous times. I will go with that over the rocoto then.
And I've seen many colours for the 7-pot varieties, so how does the flavour/heat etc vary across the different varieties? I feel like I would rather grow a red-coloured hot chilli just to follow the assumption of red=danger for personal preference.

Edit: Unfortunately the shop I was looking to buy seeds from doesn't seem to have the Bahamian Goat. Is there an alternative name they can go by or a similar strain to substitute?

Garyuu X said:

And I've seen many colours for the 7-pot varieties, so how does the flavour/heat etc vary across the different varieties? I feel like I would rather grow a red-coloured hot chilli just to follow the assumption of red=danger for personal preference.

To me, the flavor varies quite a bit on the different colors.

7 Pot White has a light, clean chinense taste and is by far the mildest 7 pot that I have tried. Nice smooth burn that is not aggressive at all.

7 Pot Yellow has a tropical fruity flavor and is hotter than the white

7 Pot Burgundy, to me, had a toned-down red superhot flavor and was a little sweet. It is hotter than the Yellow. Really nice, deep red wine color on the pods.

7 Pot Jonah has extremely hot pods that can get quite large. Very strong aroma when cut open. Typical red superhot flavor, with maybe a slight touch of sweetness, but less sweet than the Burgundy.

7 Pot Douglah is also extremely hot, maybe even hotter than the Jonah, and has a more earthy quality with tobacco-like notes. 

I like them all, but they are all quite different from each other in taste. If your preference is for a red, as you say, then I think the Jonah is a fine example of a red superhot. (I haven't tried the "original" red 7 pot yet)

Garyuu X said:

Edit: Unfortunately the shop I was looking to buy seeds from doesn't seem to have the Bahamian Goat. Is there an alternative name they can go by or a similar strain to substitute?

The Bahamian Goat is a delicious pepper. No, there is no other name for it. Here it is: http://junglerain.com.au/product/chilli-seeds/heat/hot/bahamian-goat-pepper-detail

And I gotta say, I think you came up with a list of winners. Good luck with them!  :)

Hot - Brown Moruga
Hot - Red - 7 pot Primo
Medium - Habanero
Mild - Jalapeno
Exotic- Ot Heim

Not an exciting list, but good eaters. Except the Ot Heim, those are just fun. Their smokin hot, but look not so hot. Easier to get people to try then that way lol

Rocoto and Bhut are bad peppers for first timers. I would stick with habanero, Serrano, bell, Anaheim, jalepeno. It's easy to buy seeds and the equipment to start them. But it's another thing to know how to get the seeds to actually become a plant. And a healthy one at that, at least if you want it to actually make it to maturity and produce fruit.

My Aji Limon was super productive and resilient. I think it's a great pepper for new growers. I prefer it over Aji Pineapple but that's a minority view. Aji Amarillo is great too but I wouldn't say it's as easy to grow as Aji Limon. Aji Omnicolor or Aji Limon would be my suggestion.

My Rocoto plant didn't do well, but now that it's overwintering outside it's rocking compared to others. I think it's rather sensitive to hot temps! So you'll definitely need a shady spot or shade cloth if you want to attempt it.

Definitely grow some Bahamian Goats. They're currently my #1 pepper.

Personally I don't grow jalapenos or serranos because they are so readily available at stores. I'd rather give the grow space to more exotic peppers. I do grow some Golden Cayenne though. They are especially hot. Check Home Depot / Lowes for Dragon Cayenne. It's a Thai X Cayenne and is quite productive. 

BlackFatalii said:
The Bahamian Goat is a delicious pepper. No, there is no other name for it. Here it is: http://junglerain.com.au/product/chilli-seeds/heat/hot/bahamian-goat-pepper-detail

And I gotta say, I think you came up with a list of winners. Good luck with them!  :)

Thanks for directing me to that site. I have seen his name pop up around these forums before from people discussing trades and he has what I am looking for. :) :dance: 

Spicy Mushroom said:
My Aji Limon was super productive and resilient. I think it's a great pepper for new growers. I prefer it over Aji Pineapple but that's a minority view. Aji Amarillo is great too but I wouldn't say it's as easy to grow as Aji Limon. Aji Omnicolor or Aji Limon would be my suggestion.

My Rocoto plant didn't do well, but now that it's overwintering outside it's rocking compared to others. I think it's rather sensitive to hot temps! So you'll definitely need a shady spot or shade cloth if you want to attempt it.

Definitely grow some Bahamian Goats. They're currently my #1 pepper.

Personally I don't grow jalapenos or serranos because they are so readily available at stores. I'd rather give the grow space to more exotic peppers. I do grow some Golden Cayenne though. They are especially hot. Check Home Depot / Lowes for Dragon Cayenne. It's a Thai X Cayenne and is quite productive. 

Thanks for the reinforcement. From when I first saw the Aji Limon I knew I had to get it. And I have to agree with you on the store available chillis. I am tending to lean more toward types I haven't heard of before as opposed to more common ones. And I think I will try 1 hard grower to test my skills. If I succeed I know I'm doing something right.

So I guess my list is going to look a little something like this now:

Hot - 7 Pot Burgundy (Don't think I'm ready to try the hotter varieties just yet)
Medium - Bahamian Goat
Mild - Bishops Crown
Exotic - Bhut Jolokia Peach
Exotic - Aji Limon/Lemon

Back