• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

smoking New to the Smoker, and need help FAST!

thehotpepper.com said:
Guys, guys, BBQ is about the experience, the oven is for cookies and cakes :lol:

well put!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

a good BBQ or smoked meat takes time Low and Slow!!!!

POTAWIE said:
Not trying to make you feel bad I'm just answering the question with my opinion, and I still don't think you can get a good smoke ring starting in the oven. Slow smoking with meat temps between 40-140F is where that magic takes place

thats also the danger zone when it comes to meat..lol

IMHO the only way you are going to get decent smoke ring by starting it in the oven is to not do it...sorry....generally once a meat heats up to a certain temp, its not going to take give you a ring..it will give you a pretty good smoke flavor but not the sought after ring..

just have a question though...why start it in the oven..i have heard of finishing it in the oven...but really have never heard of starting it there??

FiveSix that is one good looking piece of meat! I can almost taste it! You should be feeling damn good about this one being your first. I'd accept that any day. Can't wait to see what you do in the future.

I've had great success with boston butts by rubbing them real good, smoking very low for 3-4 hours, wrapping tight in foil, and finishing in the oven at 200 degrees for 5 hours or so (depending on the size of the roast).

The only reason for using the oven is because you can have a consistent low temperature, and not have to worry about keeping up with coals or propane. Once it's wrapped, heat is heat. Free up the smoker for some beer-can chickens, which take less time.

Back