New to THP... Need advice

Hello all from Ontario Canada! I am new to the message board and was hoping someone with experience can point me in the right direction or offer advice.... I have been looking everywhere for any information regarding dehydrating ghost peppers to make powder. Do most people use temps of 95 degrees? And if so for how long? Also do I cut the peppers in half and remove the stem? What about the pepper core? Not sure what it's called? The inside part of the pepper people normally don't eat? Do I cut tht out or leave and dehydrate it as well ? Any info would help!!

I use 90F degrees. Yes, cut them in half and remove the stem. You can clean out the seeds (and placenta, if desired) either before or after dehydrating. I dry mine with the seeds in, as it's less hassle when you have a lot to dry and at 90F the seeds remain viable. 

How long is up to a couple factors in addition to the dehydrator temp. The thickness of the walls of the pods is a big factor - thicker takes longer. Ghost peppers aren't terribly thick-walled, so they take less time than, say, jalapenos. Also, the humidity in your area at the time of drying is a big factor. At a setting of 90F I usually end up letting the dehydrator run 2-3 days, as it's often pretty humid here. If I was in Arizona, however, it probably wouldn't take nearly as long. Regardless, dry them until they are crisp in order to make powder. 

That core is called the placenta, as Geeme noted. That is where the pepper stores its "punch". As far as it being the part that people don't "normally" eat..... well, there's not much normal about the people here! lol. The placenta is a must eat during pepper challenges! I would recommend drying them, then removing the seeds, but leaving the placenta. It will make your powder hotter. And welcome to THP, from southeast Louisiana

I have a cheapo dhydrator with no temp settings. What I do is put on gloves (a must), pull off stems, pack the dehydrator full, wait a few days, done when hey crunch like chips, place in my " magic bullet" grinder, store in glass jars. YUM

A million opinions on how.

Mine?

Cut them in half.
If you want to keep the seeds for posterity, remove the majority if them without removing any of the placenta (the piece in the center the seeds are attached to).

If you want the seeds in the dried peppers, dry them cut side up.

If you live where it isn't humid, you can also harvest them with a bit of stem left, and string them up whole---hang them in the sun for a week or 4.
A different flavor results from sun dried.

I want them dried, not cooked----so 100 degrees or less for me.

And :welcome:

:welcome:  from sunny South Florida!  :woohoo:

Back