• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

New Variety!?

Alright guys this discussion is all about this kind of chilli.
AjiNaga.jpg

This plant is currently being grown by Boutros and the seed stock came from myself. The plant that the seeds were harvested from is this one, a Dorset Naga.
myplants003.jpg

Now the plant was growing next to (basically touching)this one, an Aji Lemon/Lemon Drop.
myplants005.jpg

This had led me to believe that it may be a new variety and i am very excited at the prospect :) What i need from you guys is an idea as to if i am crazy or if in fact this could be a Naga cross. I know that it is far from being recognised as a new variety but i would like to get the ball rolling so to speak. Boutros is waiting for the pods to mature so we should know relatively soon if they are going to turn red or yellow or purple!

Now the fun part, just assume that this is in fact a new variety. What would you name it??

Dorset Lemon ...
BUT .... there is a LOT of growing to do before it's stabilized, and even then it may look/taste like something completely different from the F1 !

just my 0.02

Katrina said:
Dorset Lemon ...
BUT .... there is a LOT of growing to do before it's stabilized, and even then it may look/taste like something completely different from the F1 !

just my 0.02

Yup i know i am kinda jumping the gun but i am excited at the possibility. Thanks for your 0.02 Kat :P

One of the harder to cross peppers would be Chinense and a Baccatum. Not saying it wouldnt happen but, as Katrina said, if you have it would take alot of stabilizing - ( YRS )

looks good though ! I look forward to updates ! :)

Good luck guys !

Lol that's some funny $hit Beandip...

Took a few more pics of the plant, some are prob. outta focus

From afar- has a ton of buds, kinda small. The plant drains the reservoir if left alone in a few days, so I have to keep an eye on it.

IMG_3986.jpg

Closer pod pics

IMG_3991.jpg

IMG_4004.jpg

IMG_4006.jpg

Just because it was beside the Aji Lemon/Lemon Drop, doesn't mean that that's the mother or pollinator. If you do like what you got, then hopefully you have a lot of f1 seeds or you can clone or overwinter your current plant.
Just don't call it a ???naga since it'll likely only have up to 1/2 naga genes and this will cause a whole lot of confusion, but because it sounds cool everybody will want them and then be dissapointed. Even calling them lemon before tasting them just isn't right in my opinion.

I didn't think bacctum would cross with chinensis?
MHO (and dude I'm guessing) my money is a dadyO was a thai birds eye or some sort of frutescens upright? they will cross well and the frutescens always have plenty of flowers on for bees to fingerbang and then go crossin.
Bet it will still be like lightening to eat but and no doubt super prolific.

stillmanz said:
MHO (and dude I'm guessing) my money is a dadyO was a thai birds eye or some sort of frutescens upright? they will cross well and the frutescens always have plenty of flowers on for bees to fingerbang and then go crossin.

Not necessarily, here is my aji lemon (baccatum) it is upright until it gets a little heavy and falls over
100_4636.jpg

POTAWIE said:
Just because it was beside the Aji Lemon/Lemon Drop, doesn't mean that that's the mother or pollinator. If you do like what you got, then hopefully you have a lot of f1 seeds or you can clone or overwinter your current plant.
Just don't call it a ???naga since it'll likely only have up to 1/2 naga genes and this will cause a whole lot of confusion, but because it sounds cool everybody will want them and then be dissapointed. Even calling them lemon before tasting them just isn't right in my opinion.
I take it that you are somewhat of a purest when it comes to names/genetics but i really don't take that path! I did mention that i was jumping the gun at the very beginning though. (well not the very beginning,lol)
For the sake of peace and everyones sanity i will just call Boutros's plant PIAPITA.

stillmanz said:
Mate i don't know if they will cross or not! You could be right about the dadyo though as i was growing a very large Goats Weed just feet away from the Dorset, no Birds Eyes though only other thing is a Giant Thai Red. Having said that my next door neighbour grew a smallish Birds Eye that i gave to him!

stillmanz said:

what the main stillman said! I agree! I rekon though its gonna be a cracker. id love to whack it in a grow room, clone and put it on 24 hours a day for a few weeks and then steady. Would be fun!

Will do Kat, Boutros is waiting for the pods to ripen then he is going to send me some seeds from the best looking pods. I will then start growing probably 3-4 of them and hand pollinate/isolate the flowers that have been pollinated. :)

Hopefully in a couple of years i will have a variety that Boutros and i can call our very own!

Back