wanted NEWB Looking for non super hot seeds with great flavor

Hello to this great community.

I grew a bunch of super hots this season, and while I had a good time growing them, it seems for the most part there wasn't much I could do with them other than make powder, and freeze a ton of pods. Cooking with scorpions is as it sounds...HOT! Granted, I like spicy food, but throw a few supers in a stir fry and I can't get to the end of it...

ANyways, I'm looking for some plants for everyday use. I don't know exactly what to look for, so I'm open to suggestions. I think anything less (hot) than a bhut is what I'm looking for. Let me know what you have, My budget is tight, but I can likely send a sasbe. 

My garden is growing (figuratively as it is freezing in Detroit) but I plan this as a lifelong hobby, so. I will pass along seeds in the future.

Merry Christmas to all!

-Mike

KingChile said:
then dont use a few lol use 1/2 of one diced up or make a lil puree and add it to ur food as needed
But I like the flavor of peppers, just not the overbearing heat. I like a lot of heat (more than anyone I know) but you can't get a ton of flavor without crazy heat with the supers, at least in my experience. As I said, that's all I grew this year...rookie mistake. 

Seasoning peppers are pretty tasty and pretty hot but not super. Trinidad seasoning is a popular one. Datil is a great pepper with good flavor and great heat level. Shoot me a pm

hey motorman,

like you, i only use the super hots in powders.

for flavour and actual usage, look at scotch bonnets, get some MOA if you can - no one can really go wrong with either the red or yellow scotch bonnet, i have several yellow bonnet plants overwintering(non are MOA but MOA are the selective product of choice). yellow bhuts are not that hot, actually to the point that i won't be regrowing them in the years to come based on flavour and low heat value. the yellow bonnet is just a much more superior product.(of course, these are just my opinions).

datil and quintisho have a nice sweet immediate flavour when eaten raw, i didn't get enough to make powder. and haven't tried them along in cooking, other than mincing a few and tossing them into a can of soup.

kung pao is a really good plant for all around usage, so is superchile as it can be so productive. these would be common stir-fry type peppers. the nice thing about superchile, especially in your humid summers is they can grow so fast. unlike the superhotties that you have to start now, just to get a good late summer crop. the superchile can be started in march and by july you are picking fresh peppers that can be used in most cooking. depending on you heat tolerance caribbean red might be another good choice, they produce a lot of pods, they can be slightly more than habanero hot but are a very hardy plant to grow and very productive.

you have lots of choices to choose from and lots of members have buckets loads of these seeds available.

good luck.

just an idea, go to the store, buy different peppers, taste them and keep the seeds of the ones u like..mayby u can try some habanero's...
i've done this in my second grow and have no regrets

Everyday cooking/use?

Reaserch hot, not super-hots or nuclear.  I +1 on kung pao, also reccommend....Cayenne, Tabasco, Thai, Rocoto, Seranno, Jalapeno, etc.. (check out pepperlovers site she has them categorized very well, click on heat level tab) 

Have fun and good luck!

Ajis are a great class of peppers to grow in the north. They're fairly hardy, prolific, and have pods of about medium heat. Most are great for powders as well as fresh. I have lots of Aji Omnicolor seeds if you want to try a few.
SANY0306_zps6b266027.jpg

i agree with stickman about the aji.. i also like manzano, rocoto, fatalli and of course habaneros.. my suggestion is to try to mix a variety of peppers to get just the right heat and flavor combo.. sauces are pretty quick and make good xmas gifts.. the key to sauces is to do small batches and write everything down.. I use a variety of peppers and spike the heat up with some extra super hot powder if needed...

Just my 3 cents

+1 on C.baccatums. Aji omnicolour is a great pepper, but the plant with peppers ripening on it in all colors is spectacular. Other good baccatums are, in no specific order, Aji pineapple, Aji amarillo, Rainforest, Inca drop, Trepadeira do Werner, Bishops Crown, Brazilian Starfish, El Oro de Ecuador. There are many more.

PM AjiJoe for his pepper seed list. All varieties are 10/$1 and he has some rarer baccatums.

stickman said:
Ajis are a great class of peppers to grow in the north. They're fairly hardy, prolific, and have pods of about medium heat. Most are great for powders as well as fresh. I have lots of Aji Omnicolor seeds if you want to try a few.
SANY0306_zps6b266027.jpg
wow man that's a beauty!! Aji omni color is one of my top favs!!
Nigel said:
+1 on C.baccatums. Aji omnicolour is a great pepper, but the plant with peppers ripening on it in all colors is spectacular. Other good baccatums are, in no specific order, Aji pineapple, Aji amarillo, Rainforest, Inca drop, Trepadeira do Werner, Bishops Crown, Brazilian Starfish, El Oro de Ecuador. There are many more.

PM AjiJoe for his pepper seed list. All varieties are 10/$1 and he has some rarer baccatums.
hello Nigel
could not pm you your box is full i think??
hay mate do you have authentic "RAINFOREST" seeds you could spare?? i have been trying for two years to find real ones but have failed both times, the one labeled that way turned out to be something else :tear:

please let me know and we can work out a little trade or something ;)

thanks your friend Joe

+1 on the Goat.
Cayennes are a good choice, as are several other baccatums, like Aji Pineapple.
SB7J is a nice one,(chinense) like getting hit in the tongue with a hammer, but fades in seconds.

Burning Colon said:
hey motorman,

like you, i only use the super hots in powders.

for flavour and actual usage, look at scotch bonnets, get some MOA if you can - no one can really go wrong with either the red or yellow scotch bonnet, i have several yellow bonnet plants overwintering(non are MOA but MOA are the selective product of choice). yellow bhuts are not that hot, actually to the point that i won't be regrowing them in the years to come based on flavour and low heat value. the yellow bonnet is just a much more superior product.(of course, these are just my opinions).

datil and quintisho have a nice sweet immediate flavour when eaten raw, i didn't get enough to make powder. and haven't tried them along in cooking, other than mincing a few and tossing them into a can of soup.

kung pao is a really good plant for all around usage, so is superchile as it can be so productive. these would be common stir-fry type peppers. the nice thing about superchile, especially in your humid summers is they can grow so fast. unlike the superhotties that you have to start now, just to get a good late summer crop. the superchile can be started in march and by july you are picking fresh peppers that can be used in most cooking. depending on you heat tolerance caribbean red might be another good choice, they produce a lot of pods, they can be slightly more than habanero hot but are a very hardy plant to grow and very productive.

you have lots of choices to choose from and lots of members have buckets loads of these seeds available.

good luck.
Thanks for your input. I actually grew the orange scotch bonnet and the caribbian red hab this year, and they are pretty tasty! I don't really love the flavor of regular habs. I will give the superchile a try if I can find some seeds, as well as the datil and maybe the quintisho. Thanks a ton!  -Mike
rebelgrower3 said:
You could try Bahamian Goat it's a great pepper with pretty good heat. Also try Aji Pineapple they are great peppers.
Thanks. Any idea who may have some seeds to spare. I have read about these two as being pretty tasty several times!
stickman said:
SANY0306_zps6b266027.jpg
Holy Moly! Those look like awesome plants! I will pm you if that is alright. Taste and awesome looking plants is always welcome!
I didn't expect so many responses...but I should have known. Pepper people ARE the BEST! I will have to get some research in...can't grow 'em all! Thanks to everyone who helped, and keep the answers coming!

-Mike

motorcity said:
Holy Moly! Those look like awesome plants! I will pm you if that is alright. Taste and awesome looking plants is always welcome!

Sure Mike, Drop a pm with your addy and I'll post 'em to you. Cheers!

Thinking this should have been posted in hot pepper talk before coming here but I vote white and chocolate habanero . Both are very sweet with a little heat so you can load them up into a dish for great flavor.

Back