• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

NewBee - When to bring outside???

NewBee - JJ's Questions

So I have some seedlings that have been doing alright inside. They are about 1-2 inches tall. We are finally having a string of good weather and I am wondering if I should start bringing them outside now.

Or should I wait until they get a little bigger and have a few more leaves?

And when I bring them outside should I put them in the shade for a day first? Or only bring them outside for a little while?

thanks,
jj

If you put them out in the shade I say leave them out all day as long as it is warm I would even put them in the sun for maybe 10 or 15 mins. the first couple of days out then slowly give them more sun for about a week and you should be good to go.

Dale

OK, thanks Dale. That makes sense.

I'll put them out tomorrow in the shade and move them to the sun for a bit when I get home from work.

btw, this site is great!

OK, I'll ask another question if anyone is still reading this thread:

I'm worried I might be overwatering my seedlings. How do I know when to water? Whenever my soil looks dry? Because this seems to happen quite quickly.

Any guidance is appreciated.

Watch it JJ remember on the East coast we are succeptable to frost till around Mothers Day -- You can bring them out but I wouldnt plant them...
last year it took almost till mid-july for soil temps to get warm... and screwed me over....

LUCKYDOG said:
Watch it JJ remember on the East coast we are succeptable to frost till around Mothers Day -- You can bring them out but I wouldnt plant them...
last year it took almost till mid-july for soil temps to get warm... and screwed me over....

Gotcha. My guys are still in the little starter trays so I will just be bringing them out in the morning and back in at night.

I think I need to move them into something bigger though. But I guess I don't want it too big if I am lugging in and out for a couple of months :P

OK, yet another question:

I bought some miracle grow to mix with water yesterday. Will this stuff be sufficient to use with my peppers?

Is there a much better option?

LUCKYDOG said:
Miracle Grow is a seven letter word in these parts

LOL, I had a feeling that might be the case. Although, it seems to be more than 7 letters, have you created a short form way to write it?

Are there any good articles that address the "good" ways to fertilize or should I just search through the boards.

Go to an organic nursery and ask them for some liquid fertilizer. I bought a gallon a couple years ago and I'm still using it. A little goes a long way. get the name of the product if you want.

As long as you have good soil peppers don't need a lot of fertilizer. As a matter of fact it will impair the setting of fruit once they get bearing size so don't feed them once they start to flower a lot.

chuk hell said:
Go to an organic nursery and ask them for some liquid fertilizer. I bought a gallon a couple years ago and I'm still using it. A little goes a long way. get the name of the product if you want.

As long as you have good soil peppers don't need a lot of fertilizer. As a matter of fact it will impair the setting of fruit once they get bearing size so don't feed them once they start to flower a lot.

Great info, thank you very much. Growing peppers, or gardening in general is all very new to me so I am soaking all of this in.

JJBagoose said:
LOL, I had a feeling that might be the case. Although, it seems to be more than 7 letters, have you created a short form way to write it?

Are there any good articles that address the "good" ways to fertilize or should I just search through the boards.

"Lot o' crap" as Pam would say "its like crack to the plants"

Hydro shops -- online or nearby
HD has a "worm poop" fertilizer as well

chuk hell said:
As a matter of fact it will impair the setting of fruit once they get bearing size so don't feed them once they start to flower a lot.
Sorry, but BS. Okay, once a plant gets to a flowering stage, it will take a while for any fertilzer except agrinate (which I can't find anymore) to work, but given that the plants will produce peppers for a couple of months, fertilizer will help the plant to grow, produce more leaves, get longer stems and produce more peppers.

I use to caution about using nitrate late in the season as it was said that would tend to produce fruit with a higher than normal moisture level. Several studies have debunked this, at least for tubers and tomatoes.

Mike
Better production through chemistry

Back to the watering question, be very careful with the watering they do not need a lot of water. When the top dries out do not water them water them when the middle and the bottom go almost dry. The next time the top dries out turn the container over and slip out the plug you will be amazed how moist it still is. To much water......not good.

When the plants start to bud go very light on the nitrogen, it is said to cause blossom drop.

Dale

Also with the watering question after a while you get used to the feel of the weight of the pot and tend to know when to water then.

LOL -- the best thing I ever did was go camping for a few days and didnt water them...I swear the leaves and plant doubled in size.... I have turned to watering weakly

JJ if your peppers are in the starter trays..I would be extremely careful about setting them out in the sun. The soil will dry out within an hour or two if you are using a starting soil. Transplant them into something bigger so you won't have to worry about them drying out on you.

Back