• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Newbie at growing and DWC!

Hi All,

First let me say I'm SUPER new to growing peppers and have never done any hydroponics before. Any tips, tricks, critique are greatly appreciated. I'm basically winging it and hoping for the best! I'm doing this 100% indoors as I live in an apartment. I love peppers, and love cooking. I am a big fan of making salsa and always wanted to make my own hot sauce! This is what inspired me!

My background is in IT and Electronics so this grow will be supplemented by many electronic projects.

My current setup is as follows.

Two-3 Gallon buckets.
2x4x5 Grow tent special off EBAY.
1x126 LPHx2 Air pump.
1 AgroBrite FL24 2ft 4 Bulb.
Arduino powering a LCD display with temp/humidity.
Ph meter I had already had!

Already after setting this all up Im going to make some major changes. I plan to setup an external res, with a pump to pump it into the buckets in the tent. This will make changing and refilling the solution easier.

I need to get some air moving in the tent. Currently it hovers around 29C.

I also need to replace the airlines with black lines. For now I've taped it off.

I have a timelapse setup in the tent as well, this should make tracking the project fun!

Probably going to have a ton of dead plants and disasters along the way but thats all part of learning! 

The starting plants.
VZ9pfXk.jpg

Power/Air
ahX6H0o.jpg

Lights/Temp/Humid
35t3sgj.jpg

Burning Bush
U0cuKNy.jpg
-

Jalapeno
PDbyF5R.jpg

I hope this is clean enough and this guy survives...
SqfwkhW.jpg

Full view of the setup.
0sffRBB.jpg

Two plants on their own.
YHjZ2BV.jpg

Next project. Wireless monitoring.
lcgvT00.jpg

Lots of new updates!

Got my light hung up. Finally got rid of the ghetto CFL setup! I will probably keep using the bulbs as secondary lighting on the sides if I can rig something up. Staggered the height so its even across all plants.

foDsezB.jpg

Jalapeno, Scotch Bonnet, basil, cilantro, lettuce. I need to redo these covers to make them easily removable and enlarge the hole.

3OAIii9.jpg

Majority of seeds germinated. Only about 6-7 didnt. No idea what Im gonna do with these... Any Edmontonians want?!

R4EznMw.jpg

My Long Red Cayenne and Trinidad Scorpion finally sprouted!

fkfzIV5.jpg

These are the roots I was really concerned with in the past. They are looking fantastic now!

oEhlAuP.jpg

Jalapenos coming along nicely!

RHgXOR4.jpg

My burning bush that I had pruned a hole bunch to the point it was looking sad... now has a ton of foliage!

rvQQcAt.jpg

Nothing too exciting recently. Odd thing is.. My plants always look tired and wilty by the end of the day, in the morning they look fantastic and not drooping at all.

2UC2DFO.jpg

YE3Fv23.jpg

ZllVi3j.jpg

rGiTLPT.jpg

Well, had to pick some of the peppers off my other plant. I noticed they werent getting any bigger and one of them turned red today so I just plucked them all. Hopefully the new buds will be bigger!

frDfENf.jpg

Trinidad

ur1bi9t.jpg

Cayenne

cnwUcMF.jpg

Another Jalapeno 

oRazQeF.jpg

Scotch Bonnett

fplHjSY.jpg

So its only been 5 days since my last set of pictures and wow has the scotch bonnet exploded in size! The jalapeno is much larger as well but I feel like the scotch is the winner this week!

Scotch
FdQEkaZ.jpg

Jalapeno
lbcPFsT.jpg

Cayenne
KMUO9Op.jpg

Trinidad
3wzoBak.jpg

Thanks! I feel like they look healthy! Compared to when they first were growing. Its funny how big of a difference it is from my DWC plants. They stalk is almost twice as thick and the leaves are so much healthier! Yet Im using the same nutrient amounts and lighting. So weird!

First harvest, tons of cayenne on the plant! Just about ready for a harvest. Grabbed these as a test.

yT7gcI9.jpg

Plants today.

AoeNJat.jpg

Back