• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification.

Newbie chili grower about cayenne

Hi, I started growing chiles this year after buying an apache chile plant last year. Produces nice hot peppers.
I now have a question regarding cayenne peppers (long slim i believe).
The plants have produced a fair amount of peppers so far and the longest are about 7cm.
I tasted one of them, still green and they don't seem to have any heat at all? Is that how they are supposed to be if not fully ripe?

I also have Caribbean Red chile's and they are really hot even green.

i ate some green ones while walking threw my garden and they lit me up so no even if they are green they are still gonna be hot just not as hot as a red one

Ok, these taste like bell peppers...wonder if I have gotten cheated at the garden store where I bought them. I'll see if I can post a pic of a plant with pods.

Quite often a green chili's will have no heat. Wait til they turn then eat one. I hate green chili's in less it is Jalapeno stuffed with cream cheese and wrapped in bacon :rofl:

Not every cayenne-type pepper has heat when it's green. I'm growing two varieties from Korea that have no heat whatsoever, and have the classic cayenne shape. They're a small percentage of my grow this year. Most have at least some heat, though I find that the capsaicin production ramps up only when the chlles ripen.

i hardly ever water mine i watered it once and it was when the temp hit 95 and that was too hot for them with no water so i watered them maybe thats why mine are pretty hot sooo early

I water my slim cayenne 1 to 2 times a day with it having been 95F to 104F for a couple weeks and the ones I just pulled off are hot. Well, hot being a relative term around here, they were hotter than a jalapeno at least. They seem to have little to no heat at 1/2 full size and gain the most during the last 1/3rd or 1/4th of their growth cycle.

thats how mine are dave they are almost to the ripening stage and i picked one to try it and it lit my mouth on fire LOL definitely hgotter than jalapeno

We haven't had any "good", chile growing, weather here since may, a lot of rain, but luckily I can keep the peppers in the greenhouse on rainy days. I don't water them a lot at all and they seem to be happy about that.
I bought seabird guano to feed them with two weeks ago as the rest of my peppers are still very small, 15-20cm, mostly superhots.

I really hope the weather will change so they get a lot of sun...

Well, weather has improved a bit. Not the daily rains at least and a bit warmer. I had to try another cayenne yesterday and actually felt some heat from the pod! They are still not red though, so I hope the heat will improve some more.

Back