• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Newbie grower.

Hi folks. Just introduced myself in the welcome section and thought i'd give a bit more info. This year has been my first at any type of growing, never mind chillies. Got myself one of those walk-in greenhouses, the type where you build a tubular frame and drop a plastic cover over the thing. Was only £20 and didn't want to fork out on a greenhouse to find out i wasn't green-fingered! Read up on growing chillies, mainly on thp, got myself a wee propagator and a heat mat intended for reptile tanks and some jalapeno and cayenne seeds. I was pretty late starting this year, didn't sow the seeds 'til the first week in May so i wasn't expecting too much. However the plants grew pretty quickly in the prop which was sitting on a south facing window sill. Came home a couple times to find the wee seedlings wilting from the heat but managed to save them, lesson learned and also realised just how hardy the plants are! When the seedlings were hitting the top of the prop i moved them outdoors to the g/house after hardening them off - thanks again thp. Now you may think we have snow in Scotland 11 months of the year and rain in the 12th but it's not so bad - this summer has been the best for a while, July and August were pretty good and temps in the wee g/house regularly hit the 90's. Had a couple of close shaves when i went off to work without opening the zip up door and came home to find serious wiltation! Again, the plants recovered. So, we're into October and the plant are still outside. I've taken a bunch of ripe cayennes off, a load are semi-ripe and the jalapenos are still green. The first frosts aren't far away so plan to take the lot off and try the banana and cardboard box trick. All in all, very happy with my first attempt and will certainly do it again next year - which brings me to my first question for you guys! Looking ahead, would like to grow some different varieties next year. Heat wise a cayenne is about my limit at the mo, but not the tastiest chilli out there. What chilli that is roughly the same heat as a cayenne would you say has the best flavour? Look forward to hearing from you. Baz.

Hi ScotsBonnet! Might I suggest the Aji Limon, (lemon drop) pepper? It's damned tasty, and not TOO hot... maybe a tad more than the cayenne, but not terrible.

Thanks for the replies guys, they both sound great. I believe some chillies are harder to grow than others; will these suitable in Scotland?

After reading up and asking the folks on here for some advice i ordered some seeds from Peter at semillas.de last weekend and they arrived this morning. Great service by the way! As i'm still a noob i didn't want to go too hot just yet - gotta walk before you can run! - so decided on a nice wee mix from pretty mild to medium hot. Got some Bolivian rainbow because it looks fantastic, serrano as they supposedly taste great, hot lemon, chiltepin and chimayo. Also have a load of seeds left from last year including an unidentified yellow pepper that i was going to post a pic of but ate all the evidence before i got the chance! Next year when i grow some more! So all i need now is a greenhouse...

Back