• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Newbie here saying hello and with a question....

Hello everyone. I just joined up a few days ago and have tried to read some info before asking any questions. I want to get started as soon as possible so I was wondering if someone could throw some advice my way. I'm getting started late so are there any peppers that would be better to try to start now than others? Are there some I may have problems with because of my late start?

I appreciate your help in advance and I wouldn't usually ask any questions until further reading but I wanna get started asap.

Your best bet would be to buy plants instead of seeds. Walmart, Lowes, Home Depot still have pepper plants, but they will probably be limited. You can also order from http://www.chileplants.com/. Most hot peppers take 90+ days to produce fruit, so I think doing seeds would put you at the end of your grow season. I planted my first seeds on 4/25/10 and none are ready to be put outside. All are about an inch or two tall. Pepper plants appear to be slow growing, so in my opinion, starting seeds now may not be the best thing to do. I do have a jalapeno, hababero & tabasco plant that I bought around the end of April or beginning of june. They are about a foot tall so I am hoping those plants as well as the seeds I planted produce some fruit before it starts getting cold. The weather in my area does not get cold until Oct, so I have a fairly long grow season. Not sure what it's like in Kentuky.

This is my first year growing peppers, so my knowledge is limited. There will be more experienced chileheads who will respond.

yeah, basically you'll have to buy plants; it's too late this season to start from seed. What you want is plants that are:
- quick to mature (so you get something to eat not in 90 or 100 days, but in more like 55 or 60)
- easy and un-fussy
- lots of peppers, so you can enjoy the experience and show off to your friends, while learning about how to do it
- widely/readily available

The Jalapeno Early would meet all of these criteria, plus you can stuff 'em with cheese and put them on the grill and be the hit of the neighborhood.

Welcome from Southfield Michigan.

May You Soul Rest In Peppers

HERE

4386562877_0488df8fc1.jpg

NJA

Welcome to the forum from the Philippines.

yeah, there are varieties that are named "early" because they bear fruit earlier than most varieties. =D

Thanks everyone. This is just the type of information I needed. I will check into what you all recommended. Thanks again and I look forward to more reading and learning.

Welcome to the forum and as previously stated: at this juncture you need to purchase plants. Most of the plants you get at a nursery or Lowes, HD ect will be far enough along to at least get you some pods this year. In addition, you have this whole year to read and learn so that you will be ready for next year ;)

yeah forget about starting from seed this year. I started super late also and my month old seedling are like less than two inches tall. they sprouted easy but this seedling stage seems to go really slowly.
plenty of healthy stock out there that'll give you a crop of fine peppers this year.
If you've got a Meijers near you, check them out. I didn't buy any there this year but the Kung Pao and Thai I bought from them last year grew like gangbusters.
also check your local CL for stuff too.
good luck.
and remember don't overwater and don't overfertilize.
and if you can get your hands on some Terracycle your plants will love you more.

Welcome to the forum! Trust me, your life is just NOW beginning...
I agree with what everyone else said. You are best off just buying your plants from a store. Most of my plants are grown from seed, but I have still bought a few from Lowe's. I wasn't gonna grow any Cayenne or Serrano, but, when I went to Lowe's last week, they had some of each plant, and they were about a foot and a half tall! I wasnt gonna pass those puppies up. You can get a few decet plants there. They DO sell the "World's Hottest Habanero"...lol. Seriously, though, they sell hab's, jalapeno's, serrano, tabasco, cayenne, hot banana, hot cherry, and mine sells thai.
That should be a good start for your first year. Good luck!!

welcome CCW13. This is a great forum for learning! It can be a little overwhelming until you get the lay-of-the-land....so to speak. There's lots of forums and topics. Learn to use the Forum tab and then follow the topics you like.

Happy Growing!

Just a little update.....I bought a few plants. My local nursery actually had Bhut Jolokia plants. I purchased one and hopefully they really are. I also got some jalapenos and banana peppers. I plan to head out to a couple more stores and see what I can find.

these days those pepper plants are getting quite common in your country. they just haven't spread here yet. noone knows about it here aside from my friends.

franzb69 said:
these days those pepper plants are getting quite common in your country. they just haven't spread here yet. noone knows about it here aside from my friends.

Well I'm crossing my fingers it's an actual Bhut Jolokia plant. From reading I've learned you can't always just trust what they are labeled. :)

true that. I'm risking on planting some seeds that are said to be bhut jolokias. already got them to sprout. so good luck to us. =D

darn rains aren't good for my plants. over a weeks worth of non-stop pouring rain. ack!

franzb69 said:
true that. I'm risking on planting some seeds that are said to be bhut jolokias. already got them to sprout. so good luck to us. =D

darn rains aren't good for my plants. over a weeks worth of non-stop pouring rain. ack!

Yep, good luck to us. Hopefully we get what we are expecting!

Back