• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Newbie Mistake!

So this being my first year growing I figured I would just go out and get any seedling greenhouse kit and get some good dirt and plop some seeds in and watch the magic of mother nature happen...WRONG! Granted the fair share of my misfortunes so far this season have come from my impatience, or thought process of...More is always better, right? So, when I finally started to gain patience and understanding of feeding and watering schedules, it was completely stumping me as to why I could barely get any seeds to pop or anything to grow past it's first set of true leaves. I then decided to give plastic seedling cells a shot(seeing as how that's what a lot of people recommended on here), instead of the pressed peat moss version of seedling cups that came with the kit that I have been using for, Oh say the past 6 months. Holy Crap it's like night and day! When I decided to change everything over the roots of everything in the jiffy pots had a brownish tint to them and were very skinny and frail looking, I thought for sure my efforts were doomed at best. 7 days later I have already had to transplant 2 plants to larger homes because the now giant, fat, incredibly bright white roots had taken up too much space in their new plastic euphorias. So, I must apologize to the experts on here for not listening to their advice when it was given(because afterall if I buy it at a nursery it must be good...Wrong!), and I hope any new prospective growers can take this as a word of warning. DO NOT USE JIFFY POTS!!!!!!!!!!

Glad to hear that you got it sorted. Just to be sure you are talking about peat pots and NOT the pellets/pucks right?

I've had great luck with the pellets. However, the peat pots didn't go so well for me. Those caused many many issues.

But again, the starter pellets have been wonderful the past few years.

I've had great luck with the pellets. However, the peat pots didn't go so well for me. Those caused many many issues.

But again, the starter pellets have been wonderful the past few years.
Well I have had many issues, some of which were my own doing, but my germ rates with those things were horrible.

Back