• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Newbie questions.

First of all for any who do not already know, this is my very first year growing, please go gentle on me in my screw ups.

First question, When you use a potting mix or garden soil that says "Feeds for up to 9 months" or however long, does that actually mean you do not need to add any nutes for that long? I ask because I read some MG things that stated you should start adding nutes after 2 to 3 weeks regardless. That just confused me more TBH. I mean how does a new grower know when to start adding nutes to what soils and so forth?

I have about 30 plants going now, and have tried different planting soils for each, I have some in MG, I have some in Pro-Mix, and I have some in a Menards 9 month stuff. I do not think I see a real difference in the plants yet, they all seem to be growing well. I actually have some questions about a few plants also but will give them their own thread with pics.

Thank you for your time and consideration. Reverend Michael Massey

DO what the bag says unless the soil is old. if the soil is old there is a chance that the nutes inside the bag started to break down.making it so the plants will burn roots and or the plants will use it faster.  all depends on how it was stored

Greetings Reverend,

Are you planning on growing indoors or outdoors?

If growing outdoors, are you planning on growing in containers or setting them in the ground?

Basically we need more details to help you as best we can.  Things like watering, light schedule, aeration, and pest control are also important.

That being said, I would heed the advice of one wise THP contributor who recently suggested:  The best fertilizer is to leave them the heck alone!

Back