• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds Newbie Seed Starter with Questions

Thank you for the replies! I have another question: I've read that with the seedling heat mat I should keep the seedlings at about 80 degrees during the day and cooler at night. Should I try to provide cooler temps at night BEFORE the seeds sprout or wait until they sprout? Or should I just not bother with the cooler temps at night and keep them at 80 degrees at all times?

I really appreciate everyones help and thanks in advance!

Scot

POTAWIE said:
24 hours has been proven to be beneficial for young seedlings and then I believe 18-20 hours is optimal

here is link to the article that verifies what Potawie said....

http://www.actahort.org/members/showpdf?booknrarnr=580_9

scobolt said:
Thank you for the replies! I have another question: I've read that with the seedling heat mat I should keep the seedlings at about 80 degrees during the day and cooler at night. Should I try to provide cooler temps at night BEFORE the seeds sprout or wait until they sprout? Or should I just not bother with the cooler temps at night and keep them at 80 degrees at all times?

Questions are always welcome Scott...thats what we do here...help one another...

I keep my seeds during germination as close to a constant 86F/30C as I can...once they germinate and sprout, I pour the light to them 24/7 for about 5 weeks like the article says, then I cut back to 20/4...again, as the article says...since my grow box and germinator both are temperature controlled, I just keep them at 86F...the temperature in my grow area fluctuates between 70 and 80F and the plants seem to love it....

Continuing with this thread’s topic, I started my Chinese on 1/14/10. I had red habs. (2 seedlings out of 8 seeds), Bih Jolokia (2 seedling, 2 seeds) Trinidad Douglah (2 seedlings, 4 seeds) and yellow rocoto (1 seedling, 4 seeds). All are healthy and developing their third set of leaves. Fifty seeds were started in total. Everything else, nothing.

All are on grow mats and trying to keep at 85º (as close as possible) in my basement. Water lightly every other day (moist but not damp). Seedlings are now under 6500K FL 18 hours a day. All are in seed starting trays using Sunshine LP5 plug mix (purchased from a large local greenhouse and is what they use for seed staring). Seeds were from Peppermaina, Tomato Growers, and Chris form Michigan (Thanks!).

Started 50 Aji’s on 1/30/10 but so far nothing. Probably a little too soon.

I am getting a little nervous! Referencing AJ’s 2/5 post, should I be considering a restart?
Target date for transplant into the pepper bed is 6/1; I still have some time.
Looking for some advice and positive reinforcement. Thanks!

Back