• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

pics Newbie sharing grow pics and asking for advice on pruning

Hey guys. I've been looking around here for a while and figured I'd share my little farm with you.

This is the first time I've ever tried to grow anything, so I'm glad that these plants are even still alive. I've been cooking and eating hot food for a few years. Some time in January I decided I'd like to grow my own peppers.

These are the Hungarian peppers I'm growing (just happened to be the pepper I was cooking with when the idea hit me)

They're small and spindly I know, but they're alive and that's an accomplishment for me. I had overwatered them at one point and they all lost their bottom two leaves before I figured out what was wrong.

These are what i'm really trying to grow. These are my habanero plants, Hugo and Herberto (Herbie is the smaller one).

They are almost a month younger than the Hungarians, but much larger because I can't overwater them with this setup. Herbie has actually branched at his 1st true leaf node, which I think is cool because all the hungarians didn't branch until 4 or 5. Hugo has yet to branch.

I've just been letting them sit in a southern facing window and from what I've read here, the purple veins in their leaves mean they are getting some decent sunlight. I'm using 1/4 strength miracle grow tomato to water them since none of it drains out with this setup (1/2 strength on the hungarians).

Something I'm wondering about that I hope someone here could shed some light on:
There is alot going on with Hugo down low. He is sprouting all sorts of leaves in the bottom 3 inches (he is about 12 inches tall).

Should I prune any of these? What's the difference if i do or don't?
Also if you have any other suggestions I would greatly appreciate it.

EvoGeo

I'd prune off some of the bottom leaves and shoots from Hugo. They likely won't grow much and they can be breeding grounds for pests, fungus, disease etc.

I've not been passionate enough to name any of my plants yet. I guess I have to keep on working on that :lol:

On a serious note I agree with Potawie.

thanks for the responses.

I will prune Hugo a little. He has 7 or 8 leaves sprouting from where his cotyledons were. I don't see all of them getting significant light down the line.

Will this force the plant to focus energy on growing other leaves? Or does healing the cut use more energy? I guess what i'm asking is, is the disease prevention the only benefit?

Oh and another thing i just thought of sitting here looking at the hungarians: they are all getting flower buds. I've been picking them off as soon as they get big enough that i can do it without removing any new leaves (to keep plants focused on foliage for now). On one of the plants, I missed a couple that are getting about pea size. I was thinking of letting them go just to see what happens. What do you guys think. Does this guy stand a chance of actually growing peppers yet?

Thanks again guys.
EvoGeo

Back