Newbie- some advice needed please

Greetings from across the pond.

I want to start growing chillies indoors. I am soon building a small growbox with dimensions of 3X2X2ft with reflective sheet lining. I would like to sow something ASAP to check everything is working and maybe grow a couple of plants on until the winter, maybe even get chillies off them. (fingers crossed). In the new Year, I will use the box to raise seedlings until the temps are OK outside in a small greenhouse. I live in quite a warm part of England, so temps are usually OK quite early (March/April). 

I have done plenty of reading, but a couple of points are still confusing me. Maybe you could help me out. In a small growbox of that size, which lighting would be best? Ventilation is a problem, so cooler the better. Also it would be nice if the lights were suitable to sit a foot or so from the plants rather than right on top of them (but thats flexible). 

I keep hearing conflicting views on whether or not chillies need red lighting to fruit, or they manage it under blue lighting.. Can anyone clear this up for me please?

Also, when germinating indoors, is soil or jiffy pellet best? Or pure personal choice?

Really appreciate your help guys. Thanks.

jiffy pellets work good and cheap is why they get used a lot, you can go other ways but you dont need to get fancy.

lighting now, in an area that small best bet is florescent tubes T5/T8 are best and CFL
they both run cool no heat really, cfl you can get higher watts out of thus being farther away and dont need a ballast.
you can get pods out of blue light ive seen it but its not much and not great you need the red light.

you could always go 2 T5/T8 bulbs at 6500k then when you start to see buds take 1 bulb out and add a 2700k so you get growth and flowers

same with cfl have 2 6500k and switch one out.

but its all personal choice, if its 2 feet wide or 3 feet wide, with that small id personally go with CFL get higher watts in smaller place

Thanks for the advice,

My local shop sells these and you can mix and match the bulbs. A good solution? They are 72X50cm, so a comfy fit in the box?

I use compact floros...low electric bills, super simple setup and good results. MH or HID would be better for fruiting plants, but I had no problem podding some up with my CFLs. Color temp I use is Daylight between 5000 and 6500K. Ask the lighting question and you're gonna get a ton of answers. To see my setup you can click on my Grow log below and read through the first few pages on how I set things up and take it or leave it! Good luck!

Balduvian said:
whats the watts on that? and i want one lol
500 watts. I think though exclusive to a chain of hydroponic shops in Southern England. Hopefully 500 watts should be enough.

Peruse the glogs and you will find every setup imaginable.

For that size---and planning fruit----I would go hydro.

Easy and cheap.

Storage tub with lid, some nutes, some lights, and an airstone and aquarium pump---bob's yer uncle. :party:

Kentlad said:
500 watts. I think though exclusive to a chain of hydroponic shops in Southern England. Hopefully 500 watts should be enough.
500W in a small area like that should be more than enough, with cfl thats around 2000W anyway, should be way more than enough lol

Gotrox said:
Peruse the glogs and you will find every setup imaginable.

For that size---and planning fruit----I would go hydro.

Easy and cheap.

Storage tub with lid, some nutes, some lights, and an airstone and aquarium pump---bob's yer uncle. :party:

Yes I may well have a look at the hydro route, as long as it's not too expensive. I would probably stick to soil and jiffy pellets though for seedlings that are going to go outside

Another question please. Will I need any fancy fan setups in this system? What's the best way to keep the fresh air flowing? I have 2 small clip on fans, but that's it.

Just a table fan is all you need.
Small clip-on's prolly don't move enough air.
Need to see the leaves and stems moving.

Back