Newbie With First Pepper Sprouts Already Up!

Hey everyone,

My name is Mitch, I'm up in southern indiana so if there are any pepper dudes around give me a shout. I'm a new guy, but I find a lot of this fascinating. 

Ok so I'll give you some background. When I was a kid my old man got into growing peppers for a few years. It's been a while so I don't remember specifics but I know he built a little greenhouse, started seeds in his basement, moved to the greenhouse, and then out into a backyard garden. He grew 17 varieties his final year and created a mixed pepper flake simply titled "Hot Pepper". The first year he made it it was called "Rub from hell" but he changed the name since everyone just referred to it as hot pepper anyway.

I helped when I was younger and have many fond memories of spicy food growing up. My favorite story is this one:

When I was a kid my old man used to make home-made beef jerky about twice a year. He would make a couple pounds of it and I remember it being the greatest thing I've ever eaten bar none! I wasn't the only person with that opinion back then though. My step-brother shared my love for the home-made deliciousness. I remember my dad used to store the jerky in a glass container on top of the fridge(out of reach of children) and would ration the stuff out to us like some sort of torture exercise. Well we finally had enough. 1 year we stacked some stuff up and stole the jar off the fridge and proceeded to eat all of it...every bite. My old man wasn't very happy about this and wanted some jerky of his own. This is right after he started making the hot pepper pictured above and since he was the only person in the house that could eat spicy food he figured he would just make a batch and cover it in the pepper, like a makeshift child deterrent. I still to this day remember standing on the back porch, hiding from my father, with my step-brother and the jar of pepper coated jerky just crying from how hot it was but still eating because it was so delicious! Mouths on fire, tears rolling down cheeks, delicious stolen meat in hand...that was the day I became a spicy food guy.

Anyways, a couple decades down the road and I've got the bug to grow some chilies of my own. I attempted a few varieties last year but didn't have much success with germination(buried too deep) and then ran out of time to try again.

This year I am growing Jamaican Hot Chocolates, Serranos, Tepins, Scotch Bonnets, and a few more I can't remember off the top of my head along with some tomatoes. I also just ordered some datil seeds from an ebay seller in St Augustine. 

So far I've had 2 JHC seeds germinate and sprout!

We shall see how this year goes.

-Skeptic68W

:welcome:  from Ohio! I'm in the same place you are - just caught the hot pepper bug, nursing my first several dozen sprouts, combing this forum to see which mistake I'll make first!

Back