• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds Newly sown seeds/lighting issue

I have quite a few plants going already which I started in early March, but a lot of my plants ended up killed or stunted due to being scorched in a windowsill with a heating mat under the flat with a dome on top combined with the sunlight. This pretty much killed off my seeds that hadn't sprouted (Datil, Malaga Bird, Bhut Jolokia (of which I FINALLY managed to get 2 seedlings :( ) ) as well as stunting the seedlings that I had in there (Orange Hab and Red Savina, basically no growth in weeks). My Choc Habs seem to have survived and gotten through it, at least 3 of them have.

So that is the background story behind why I now have twelve new varieties sown one month later...

I understand I most likely won't get any yields from the new ones aside maybe the anuums, I am hoping to bring the chinense indoors to ripen. The question comes to this now. I am just getting sprouts on a couple of them and they are under a "13W Type PL Lamp." I'm not quite sure what this means but it's a small fluoro desk lamp that I found. Will this produce enough light for the young emerging seedlings? Or would it be better to put them in the windowsill, obviously without the dome this time? I would put them under the two shop lights I have with my other plants but then I won't be able to keep the temp close to 80-5 which definitely seems like a bad thing at this point if I want them to germinate ASAP. Thoughts? TIA

Put them in the windowsill, preferably south facing. If it doesn't get enough light, keep your desk lamp over them also.

The lamp you have isn't strong enough, so go with the window and maybe use the light at night. After the seeds sprout get them out from under the dome and remove the heat mat.

Back