• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Next to My Chair

Been thinking about it.. pretty sure I'm growing peppers because I'm bored.  Like, deeply, existentially bored.  Plus, a little harmless pain never hurt anybody, right?  Hell, it's probably even good for you.  We'll see if those are good enough reasons, I guess.  I bought me some "Scotch Bonnet Orange" seeds from Amazon before I found you fine folk, lurked around here for a while, then planted them anyway along with other, infinitely less suspect seeds I ordered from far flung places around the globe(!) as recommended by the very venerable Vendor Vault.  I've got them growing here by my chair.  I sit here and read. (The wall to my right as I took this picture is lined with bookshelves I'm slowing filling as I try to forget the world each afternoon.  Mostly scifi the last few years.)  It would be distracting to have a big boxy tent looming over me, so I've just got them sitting there on a cardboard box.  I hope to replace the box with a little table here soon.
20190111_225735.jpg

My rig consists of something like a quarter of the full Amazon Indoor Garden of Tomorrow-orrow-orrow-orrow ®.  This LED light I got is something else, man.  It's REALLY bright!  Paper towel germination, used a few Jiffy pellets, stuck some seeds straight in some old Miracle Grow I had, kept them in the Jiffy box there until they sprouted.  I'm glad to be rid of that Jiffy dome now; it was a pain in the ass.  Ahh.. let's see.. I'm mixing CNS17 Grow into RO/DI water, testing and adjusting up with GH pH kit, pouring it over my little darlings there in about 3:1 coco:perlite.  Just culled and potted up today to 3.5 inches.  All seems to be going well except for some slight canoeing of leaves, which I'm ready to blame on the 24% humidity (We wake up half mummified in the winter.  I know - grow tent.) and a few early spills on my rug.  Trying to keep it simple and not drive myself crazier futzing with dozens of parameters here, so I'm not going to sweat it unless things turn worse.  I'm not!  Worry verges on religion with me, so this will either be therapeutic or turn out to have been a bad idea.. 
Any and all comments or criticisms are very welcome and I thank you all most warmly for having me and schooling me and reading my noodlings! 
20190111_225625.jpg

skullbiker said:
I bet you could reach quite a way off that deck with a good long handle limb saw!

I could, indeed, but still not far enough.  That pin oak would really need to come out.  I did limb up a white oak as far as I could reach, but that wasn't quite good enough, either.  The three plants I've got in the ground aren't getting much direct light and it's only going to get worse as the sun gets higher in the sky.  Ah well.  We'll see what they do. 

Can see the FO a little better from here.  That's a Papa Dreadie next to it.  Supplies for rain cloaks should be delivered today. 
20190428-110020.jpg

CDNmatt said:
Pretty pumped to watch those kratkys over the summer though dude, cannot wait to watch those explode for you.

I'm a little nervous about tomorrow's heat forecast, but I'm excited to finally have somebody in one of those big cans, too.  The lemon drop is coming along, but it was a late start.

Things have changed next to my chair; everything has been crowded out from under the light by the FO in the 5-gallon DWC, which is becoming a real monster.  All are outside except my big green friend here.

How many big cans did you get btw Eccoli?? Not sure if I asked you this already, I know I had ment to and am way too lazy to read the thread again, my apologies if so.

How does the misses feel aboot you new found hobby now that stuff is making its way to the outdoors?? Think the majority of us have to take our spouses in to account when it comes to the hobbys we have whatever they may be eh.

I got two, but I've been wondering whether I should go back for a third to use as a plant stand.

She's a sport. Having chili pepper plants all over the deck is the least of my eccentricities, though. Some folks like to thank their maker for every good thing that happens to them, big or small. I thank my wife.

The garbage can FO is not happy. Some scorching yesterday, lots of leaves dropped this morning.

Siv said:
I love that wire mesh you're using until I checked the price. Probably fine for a few plants but it works out at about a 4ft length to circle my 16" grow bags which gives about 12 from a 50ft roll - or about $4 per plant. x30 plants and that's $120 - I may have to stick to bamboo!

Edit: Just found this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002LSYTZQ/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_XXCYCb7VAQP6X which I'm gonna try.

Yeah, it's expensive.  The price was marked incorrectly when I bought it.  The clerk read me off a total that was way too high, I asked and he gave me the price of the fence I imagine you're seeing.  Meh, I just bought it anyway.

I like that rabbit fence, too, as it's got wider spacing toward the top.  I didn't get it in the first place because I wanted to set the fencing on the ground and just wrap it around.  Now I'm thinking I'll take that shorter rabbit fence and cable tie it to my bucket lids so the whole thing comes off with the plant.

I've also been looking at cattle panels, which are inexpensive, but huge.  I'm not sure how I'd get one home.  I'd need bolt cutters to cut the stuff, too - 4ga wire.  Figure I could get eight cages from one panel. 

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/feedlot-panel-cattle-16-ft-l-x-50-in-h?cm_mmc=SEM-_-Google-_-DynamicAdsFencing-_-FencingBroadDynamicExtAd&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIufTY2_P64QIVioCfCh08FAV-EAAYASAAEgJb__D_BwE

Uncle_Eccoli said:

Yeah, it's expensive.  The price was marked incorrectly when I bought it.  The clerk read me off a total that was way too high, I asked and he gave me the price of the fence I imagine you're seeing.  Meh, I just bought it anyway.

I like that rabbit fence, too, as it's got wider spacing toward the top.  I didn't get it in the first place because I wanted to set the fencing on the ground and just wrap it around.  Now I'm thinking I'll take that shorter rabbit fence and cable tie it to my bucket lids so the whole thing comes off with the plant.

I've also been looking at cattle panels, which are inexpensive, but huge.  I'm not sure how I'd get one home.  I'd need bolt cutters to cut the stuff, too - 4ga wire.  Figure I could get eight cages from one panel. 

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/feedlot-panel-cattle-16-ft-l-x-50-in-h?cm_mmc=SEM-_-Google-_-DynamicAdsFencing-_-FencingBroadDynamicExtAd&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIufTY2_P64QIVioCfCh08FAV-EAAYASAAEgJb__D_BwE
I use concrete reinforcing mesh. Available in either 5 ft X 50 ft, or 5 ft X 150 ft rolls at most building supply places.

Unc, I don't know the gauge of my cattle panels since they're 20 years old but that's a quarter-inch rope hanging. These things are tough. I never tried but I think bending a panel into a round shape with less than a 4' radius will be tough.

Cutting one into small pieces and wiring those pieces together will work.

G3lqKW0.jpg

DWB said:
Unc, I don't know the gauge of my cattle panels since they're 20 years old but that's a quarter-inch rope hanging. These things are tough. I never tried but I think bending a panel into a round shape with less than a 4' radius will be tough.

Cutting one into small pieces and wiring those pieces together will work.

G3lqKW0.jpg
Yeah, they'd have to be square. Or faceted, at least, but that would be way too much trouble. I like the wide spacing, but this probably isn't the right material for me.

The rabbit fence ought to work well enough. Let me know how you do, Siv.

Back