• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

NFTG, Nectar for the Gods nutrient line for HOT PEPPERS

solid7 said:
What sold me even more wasn't just their nutrients, but some of the "ninja" level growing hacks that they shared with me. Little things that are easy to overlook, but make a big difference...
Care to share?

Care to share?
Well, not that I do, but it won't mean much to you. It's personalized to YOUR particular setup. When you make your initial inquiry, you'll be asked to fill out the details of your growing method. The advice that was given to me, was tailored to my system, in my growing zone, etc...

solid7 said:
Well, not that I do, but it won't mean much to you. It's personalized to YOUR particular setup. When you make your initial inquiry, you'll be asked to fill out the details of your growing method. The advice that was given to me, was tailored to my system, in my growing zone, etc...
Interesting.

So I just started their advanced schedule last night (almost all of it) and will keep you informed. A little weary about the Bloom Khaos due to the strict warning that your plants better have access to a good deal of calcium or else they'll start to claw. I fertilized using the early flower suggestion then misted with the Bloom Khaos...hope it doesn't bother my mantises. Seeing how my Hawaiians refuse to produce any flowers, this flower inducing foliar spray should be quite interesting to evaluate. As some background info, my soil is coming in at pH7 - 7.1 and the mix, without any adjustments is coming in at exactly pH6...I should be perfectly in the zone. I'm using a bluelab dual probe freshly calibrated so these numbers are spot-on.

Kikaida said:
So I just started their advanced schedule last night (almost all of it) and will keep you informed. A little weary about the Bloom Khaos due to the strict warning that your plants better have access to a good deal of calcium or else they'll start to claw. I fertilized using the early flower suggestion then misted with the Bloom Khaos...hope it doesn't bother my mantises. Seeing how my Hawaiians refuse to produce any flowers, this flower inducing foliar spray should be quite interesting to evaluate. As some background info, my soil is coming in at pH7 - 7.1 and the mix, without any adjustments is coming in at exactly pH6...I should be perfectly in the zone. I'm using a bluelab dual probe freshly calibrated so these numbers are spot-on.
You dont have to take my word, but I would up the Herc and Demeter's above the schedule, while using BK. Remember, that schedule is just a guide....
hDPg4CQ.jpg

Kikaida said:
What's your application schedule? Every watering, every other watering...weekly, bi-monthly?

I can't speak for anyone else, but I'm growing outside under the sun, and Scott told me that he recommends feeding some form of their calcium at every watering.  Other than that, I will, at the beginning, be feeding once a week.  Nutrients get WAY too expensive, otherwise!  If they need to be refined, so be it.  But for now...

Kikaida said:
What's your application schedule? Every watering, every other watering...weekly, bi-monthly?
Will see these posts quicker if you quote.

Every 2 days is my sched, but you can use this line everyday. I would recommend getting a ph tester if you dont already have one. A ppm meter will come in handy too. Someone earlier said that the Nectar line is high on the ph scale, and thats just not true.
lxrZGe0.jpg

I see a lot of people in this thread that are not really familiar at all with this line, and are kind of winging it. The basic 4 are all you really need to see success, but if you want to really see the potential with this line,then BK comes into play. The drawback to using BK though, is that Herc is an absolute must have, and a quart size bottle simply will not cut it. You will blow through that quart size sample really quick, and you dont want to be winging it with BK.

As far as 'Scott tailoring' a guide for your grow, or sending you something designed specifically for you, I dont believe that. Everyone that gets a sample from OO, gets the same exact bottles as everyone else. Scott may give some tips and advice, but trust me, nobody is getting this and that, while he/she gets them or those. If that were true, I'd trade my Zeus sample for a bigger BK instantly lol. We all fill out the same survey, and this survey is for the benefit of OO, not us.

SteelHeat said:
Someone earlier said that the Nectar line is high on the ph scale, and thats just not true.
I see a lot of people in this thread that are not really familiar at all with this line, and are kind of winging it.
So, it was me that raised the PH issue, and I admit that it was based on a misunderstanding of a conversation that I had with OO. I had misunderstood them to say that they used the high alkalinity in the base nutrient, but he was actually trying to explain to me that I should be using a drifting PH buffer to offset the effects of any undigested limestone in the PH Up. In fact, he said that I should mix the nutrients with the PH on the low side, to allow for PH drift. So there you have it. My mistake.

SteelHeat said:
As far as 'Scott tailoring' a guide for your grow, or sending you something designed specifically for you, I dont believe that. Everyone that gets a sample from OO, gets the same exact bottles as everyone else. Scott may give some tips and advice, but trust me, nobody is getting this and that, while he/she gets them or those. If that were true, I'd trade my Zeus sample for a bigger BK instantly lol.
I didn't say that he exactly tailored anything. I told you that I leaned on them, and they gave me some additional advice. Which was SUPPOSED to be a testament to good customer support. (sorry you ddin't get that) He made some suggestions that were specifically aimed at the method in which I was growing - which isn't me throwing my plants into a pot of Pro-Mix HP. Now that being said, I've also got the feeding schedule from OO right in front of me, and it VERY CLEAR says, "This is a feeding schedule written by customers, for customers. It is by no means pure science for every plant. Find what works best for your plants, and share your schedule with us".

@solid7, Well....
8IvnDko.jpg

Not getting your point about the mention of the feed schedule either. If its in reference to the BK vid I posted, Im just trying to get other users to understand how important the Herc is going to be while using the BK. Btw, I havent used that feed chart in mos....It is just a basic idea of how to use the line, and ofc you, or anyone, is free to alter it to your own liking. I thought this thread was started for people that actually have experience using the line. Not people that are thinking about it, have one or two bottles they picked up from the hydro shop, or misunderstand the reason of the survey(aka the 'initial inquiry')on the free sample form....Guess I was wrong. Never thought I'd say this, but this is the one time fb has better info about something than thp. Was a good idea @Capcom, just not many people using this line in this neck of the woods. Ive asked a couple guys to join the thread, but they arent interested. Im gonna hang back for now and revisit this thread when more experienced users show up and share. Good luck to you all, and take care.

Jesus Christ, man... I've got the whole kit right in front of me. Get off of your high horse. I got the sample BECAUSE of this thread!

I got into this, because I'm conducting an experiment, trying to accelerate the timeline for stabilizing a new cross that I've made. When I made my inquiry, both Scott and Patrick were extremely helpful to me, and made specific recommendations, based on my specific setup. Sorry, I don't hang out on FB, so I don't know what you refer to.

It really doesn't make any sense for 99% of hobby gardeners to spend the kind of money that these nutrients cost, for peppers, bro. But I didn't come in to kick that point. Some people have their reasons, and some people just like to do things differently. I'm part of a positive contribution, so why don't you get on board, instead of turning this (back) into a slugfest? Because if your experiences are true - which I have no reason to believe that they aren't - don't you think that I'm probably going to be able to help you make your points?

solid7 said:
Jesus Christ, man... I've got the whole kit right in front of me. Get off of your high horse. I got the sample BECAUSE of this thread!I got into this, because I'm conducting an experiment, trying to accelerate the timeline for stabilizing a new cross that I've made. When I made my inquiry, both Scott and Patrick were extremely helpful to me, and made specific recommendations, based on my specific setup. Sorry, I don't hang out on FB, so I don't know what you refer to.It really doesn't make any sense for 99% of hobby gardeners to spend the kind of money that these nutrients cost, for peppers, bro. But I didn't come in to kick that point. Some people have their reasons, and some people just like to do things differently. I'm part of a positive contribution, so why don't you get on board, instead of turning this (back) into a slugfest? Because if your experiences are true - which I have no reason to believe that they aren't - don't you think that I'm probably going to be able to help you make your points?
:cheers: Enjoy your sample kit, happy growing, good luck, and take care. :cheers:

After applying the BK, I did notice that new growth was clawing so per the recommendation of SteelHeat, I added an extra shot of herculean harvest. On my barren Hawaiians, I'm just now starting to notice a ton of tiny flower sites! Only been a week but my plants are for sure showing some very positive signs. I have a lot of new nodes popping up all over. My Scotch Bonnet that was thoroughly infested with aphids a couple+ weeks back is absolutely going off!
-
I know this stuff can be a little costly but I can't find the types of peppers I'm growing in stores. I already have a lot of time and effort invested in these plants and the pleasure of harvesting unobtainable peppers is worth a few extra bucks. Plus I'm learning a lot about the nuts and bolts of fertilizing by a company thats dialed in so many variables which allows you to stick with one or two products or go absolutely nuts with the whole line. Like an audiophile....You can have simply treble and bass or a 24 band equalizer and dial in each component of that particular song (plant) perfectly.
-

Kikaida said:
After applying the BK, I did notice that new growth was clawing so per the recommendation of SteelHeat, I added an extra shot of herculean harvest. On my barren Hawaiians, I'm just now starting to notice a ton of tiny flower sites! Only been a week but my plants are for sure showing some very positive signs. I have a lot of new nodes popping up all over. My Scotch Bonnet that was thoroughly infested with aphids a couple+ weeks back is absolutely going off!
-
I know this stuff can be a little costly but I can't find the types of peppers I'm growing in stores. I already have a lot of time and effort invested in these plants and the pleasure of harvesting unobtainable peppers is worth a few extra bucks. Plus I'm learning a lot about the nuts and bolts of fertilizing by a company thats dialed in so many variables which allows you to stick with one or two products or go absolutely nuts with the whole line. Like an audiophile....You can have simply treble and bass or a 24 band equalizer and dial in each component of that particular song (plant) perfectly.
-

Are you growing inside, or outside?

How did you handle your pest situation?

I'm outside in pots, self watering buckets are the bomb! Just gotta let them run dry so as to not make the soil soggy. But the roots in the water chamber just drink and drink so adding nutes to the water chamber is like doing hydro but you also have the soil benefit of microbes and of course stability.
-
As for my pests, its been aphids. given the choice I would have just sprayed the hell out of everything except I have resident mantises and stray lady-bugs hanging around from the 6,000 I release. So I bring my plants to an isolated area and water blast off the aphids (which stirs up the good guys which I then relocate to other plants). Once the plant is clear of aphids and the good guys, they get saturated with Azamax...Aphids gone. Thing is, I only do this on plants being over-ran as its a bit of a pain. So they've slowly moved through various plants but haven't returned to the treated originals. My habs started showing an infestation but I think the ladybugs won that war. Gotta check all the plants every day...in 2 or 3 days a clean plant can be overwhelmed.
-
Hopefully this nutrient cycle that I'm on will bolster their natural defenses.

Update: My scotch bonnets are just covered in buds, hundreds of them. Remember my Hawaiians that wouldn't flower? Covered in buds as well with a lot of new nodes all over. Plants aren't getting tall but they're getting stocky and thick. I've upped the calcium with more Herculean Harvest and also added a sprinkling of bone meal as well. I've been using the Bloom Khaos sparingly...about 3 times a week (the day after I 'rain' on the plants to wash the leaves of humming bird poop). I gotta say, so far, this stuff is really living up to the hype. Granted a couple of my scotch bonnets already had some flowers but now are just bursting with them...The one that is just exploding is the one that was covered with aphids and super stressed out. It was dropping leaves and just looking sad...Its now the juggernaut of my bonnets and just covered with literally, hundreds of bud sites. This specimen is the only bonnet I have in a self watering bucket sooooo.....when feeding, I top water and also put around a quart into the chamber submerging the exposed roots like a hydro system. And as you know, hydro plants can go insane when fed right compared to soil. It appears that may be whats really causing this phenomenal growth.
-
Now I still need to see how the set goes. Hundreds of flowers wont matter if 90% of them end up getting kicked. Granted I can't control the heat which will cause flower drop but that's not to blame the nutes. Also need to evaluate the quality of fruit for those that do set. A hundred under-sized fruits will not be the best results but also keep in mind that I'm new to steering and hopefully by upping the Cal and P this will give the plant enough muscle to push out a quality crop.
-
I think with the Hawaiians alone it goes without saying this stuff puts the spurs to it. Just a few weeks back I wrote a post asking for advice on why my Hawaiians wouldn't flower...and now they are well on their way. As I said, I have experienced some clawing of new growth but with the upped Cal I think that's helped as the newer growth looks OK.
-
At this point I'm really leaning to buying their gallon size offerings for next season. Picking my 4 best plants and using self watering buckets, that should be more than enough to see me through the grow.
-
Will update once the set starts.

I had to get a baseline established for my trial. Right now, I've got an absolutely gorgeous grow going, with nothing but Fish and Seaweed. No PH or PPM check, everything planted out in a mix of 70/30 coco/perlite, and then I add 10% worm castings to that when I pot it up. I had to use to do a serious Neem treatment, but other than that, my "control" group is phenomenal. Growing several pepper varieties, plus eggplants. My NFTG grow will be 2 varieties of Rocoto, and a dwarf tiger tomato. I've been pretty bad about not posting pics, as I've been too lazy to re-establish my photobucket credentials. But that's gonna happen.

Seems like you're going to have a much better idea on the ferts with your control. Mine is more straight observation from what was stressed and stubborn to bud to robust and covered in buds.
-
As an update, my prize Scotch Bonnet is starting to flower, several new ones every day. They all get the sonic-care toothbrush tickle. I tried my first Scotch Bonnet yesterday, actually just the tip where it should be the mildest....burned the hell out of me! I mean dang, it had a good flavor then the fire came and was relentless. At this point, I'm a little scared of them but went ahead and put half of one into some pickled onions I'm starting up.
-
As to my stubborn Hawaiians...They are still covered in tight, little buds. Nothing is opening at this point. I can see something dark at the tips of some, not sure if this is a bad sign. Until they fall off, I'm still holding out hope.
-
I'm using the mid-flower ratio and the stuff goes fast when mixing 5 gallons at a time.

Back