• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

NFTG, Nectar for the Gods nutrient line for HOT PEPPERS

Starting to notice some yellowing/lightening of leaves on my plants in full flower mode...Not all, just a few. Not really seeing much in the way of nitrogen with these products so I sprinkled a smidge of blood meal around these plants to give them a little nitrogen. Don't want to over do it and have them revert back to veg but also notice that leaves that begin to yellow, progress rather linearly to yellow then drop. I know old leaves will do this but since I'm noticing some fading with newer leaves up top, figured I would try to give the plant what its asking for.

Interesting that you mention this. I am waiting for my seed starts, but I've been staring at the bottles, all lined up on my work bench. These products are super high on the P and K scale.

I have read some that suggest that the optimal NPK ratio for a pepper plant, is somewhere in the 3-1-2 region. Where it seems that according to the feed schedule that I have, the NFTG line is somewhere closer to 3-10-10. The reason that I mentioned the Fish and Seaweed grow to you previously, is because I've tailored that grow closer to the 3-1-2 ration. And it is an absolutely gorgeous control group. Maybe not breaking any records for growth rate or haul, but plant health is great, and no deficiencies. Still almost all of the original leaves on each plant.

I understand that ratios can be manipulated to achieve a result. But I also know that I have a super long growing season, and I tend to focus on the overall health of a plant. Again, my ultimate goal is speed up the grow cycle of a cross. But this seems unsustainable for a long term grow.

solid7 said:
Interesting that you mention this. I am waiting for my seed starts, but I've been staring at the bottles, all lined up on my work bench. These products are super high on the P and K scale.

I have read some that suggest that the optimal NPK ratio for a pepper plant, is somewhere in the 3-1-2 region. Where it seems that according to the feed schedule that I have, the NFTG line is somewhere closer to 3-10-10. The reason that I mentioned the Fish and Seaweed grow to you previously, is because I've tailored that grow closer to the 3-1-2 ration. And it is an absolutely gorgeous control group. Maybe not breaking any records for growth rate or haul, but plant health is great, and no deficiencies. Still almost all of the original leaves on each plant.

I understand that ratios can be manipulated to achieve a result. But I also know that I have a super long growing season, and I tend to focus on the overall health of a plant. Again, my ultimate goal is speed up the grow cycle of a cross. But this seems unsustainable for a long term grow.

If you aren't attached to the concept of "organic" buy some dynagro foliage pro it has the nutrients in the right ratios (3-1-2), calcium magnesium and micros. I use this product on all my plants for convenience and have great results. This is an excerpt from a famous garden web forum post about nutrient ratios and a direct quote from the CEO of dynagro:

"Al - You are correct. We market high P fertilizers because people "believe" [his emphasis] they need them. As you have noted, our Foliage-Pro does a great job start to finish. However, it is simpler to give the market what they think they need than to try to reeducate it [my emphasis]. There is some evidence to believe that low N helps to convince a plant to stop its vegetative growth and move into its reproductive phase (flowering), but environmental factors are probably more important. P is typically 5th or 6th in order of importance of the six macronutrients. There is little scientific justification for higher P formulas, but marketing does come into play for the vast majority of users who lack any real understanding of plant nutritional requirements. Therefore, the market is flooded with a plethora of snake oil products that provide little benefit and can actually do harm. For example, one exhibitor at a hydroponic trade show had a calcium supplement with 2% calcium derived from calcium chloride. Can you guess what continued application of 2% chloride would do to plants?'

I hope this answers your question and am sorry for XXX's (name deleted) inaccurate response.

Cordially,
Dave Neal, CEO
Dyna-Gro Nutrition Solutions ..."

To me nectar for the gods looks like another cheeky nutrient line that tricks dumb stoners trying to get an edge growing weed and hobbyists for other plants who have tricked themselves that they can micromanage their nutrients to somehow get amazing yields. High P in fertilizers is a myth that has been debunked yet hydro shops and fertilizer companies continue to sell them because they can make more money selling multiple products and for some reason the consumers want to believe that somehow plants need 3 different nutrient regimens throughout their growing cycle.

Just my $0.02 

If you want to have a faster grow cycle try hydro-that way you can move your plants indoors and have an uninterrupted grow cycle. as soon as you get fruit and seeds from your cross you can start growing out the next generation. Or just work on improving your horticulture overall. There isn't going to be a nutrient silver bullet beyond meeting your plants basic nutrient requirements that will drastically speed up your grow cycle unless you were already not doing something well.

Other than that you can use kelp extracts to push your plants to grow faster and also compost tea to improve the microbiome and subsequently nutrient uptake of your plants.

thefish said:

If you aren't attached to the concept of "organic" buy some dynagro foliage pro it has the nutrients in the right ratios (3-1-2), calcium magnesium and micros. I use this product on all my plants for convenience and have great results. This is an excerpt from a famous garden web forum post about nutrient ratios and a direct quote from the CEO of dynagro:

"Al - You are correct. We market high P fertilizers because people "believe" [his emphasis] they need them. As you have noted, our Foliage-Pro does a great job start to finish. However, it is simpler to give the market what they think they need than to try to reeducate it [my emphasis]. There is some evidence to believe that low N helps to convince a plant to stop its vegetative growth and move into its reproductive phase (flowering), but environmental factors are probably more important. P is typically 5th or 6th in order of importance of the six macronutrients. There is little scientific justification for higher P formulas, but marketing does come into play for the vast majority of users who lack any real understanding of plant nutritional requirements. Therefore, the market is flooded with a plethora of snake oil products that provide little benefit and can actually do harm. For example, one exhibitor at a hydroponic trade show had a calcium supplement with 2% calcium derived from calcium chloride. Can you guess what continued application of 2% chloride would do to plants?'

I hope this answers your question and am sorry for XXX's (name deleted) inaccurate response.

Cordially,
Dave Neal, CEO
Dyna-Gro Nutrition Solutions ..."

To me nectar for the gods looks like another cheeky nutrient line that tricks dumb stoners trying to get an edge growing weed and hobbyists for other plants who have tricked themselves that they can micromanage their nutrients to somehow get amazing yields. High P in fertilizers is a myth that has been debunked yet hydro shops and fertilizer companies continue to sell them because they can make more money selling multiple products and for some reason the consumers want to believe that somehow plants need 3 different nutrient regimens throughout their growing cycle.

Just my $0.02 

If you want to have a faster grow cycle try hydro-that way you can move your plants indoors and have an uninterrupted grow cycle. as soon as you get fruit and seeds from your cross you can start growing out the next generation. Or just work on improving your horticulture overall. There isn't going to be a nutrient silver bullet beyond meeting your plants basic nutrient requirements that will drastically speed up your grow cycle unless you were already not doing something well.

Other than that you can use kelp extracts to push your plants to grow faster and also compost tea to improve the microbiome and subsequently nutrient uptake of your plants.

Interesting reply, that was.  I've been working on this subject for so long, I can almost write a thesis on it.

To be honest, I can't believe that you got such a candid response.

thefish said:

Yes and the subject has been hotly debated to no avail. The dyna-gro response is from this topic on the gardenweb forums:

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/2107319/dyna-gro-folilage-pro-vs-dyn-gro-grow-question

The consumer drive is very strong.  I remember the guy who invented Fish Bites (fish bait) saying, when asked what color was best, that it made absolutely zero difference what color was used, they all worked exactly the same.  They had tons of data on the subject.  But ultimately, what it came down to, was they sold multiple colors, because it was easier to give people what they (falsely) believe in, than to argue it, or to lose business to someone else, who would gladly give it, and take their money.

The difference with products like these, is that they have an impact on resources, and ecology.

Checked their fertilizers out and got the feeling that they want you to buy the whole lineup to make it work ok. Mixing tons of different bottles would make the growing really complicated/confusing and i dont think most people would like to do it in the long run.

Don't know anything about their nutrient line, but I've been using their Oregon's Only #4Mix for my tomatoes and peppers in grow bags and have been quite pleased thus far. Really solid mix IMO.

No nutrient line, even used correctly will make any difference if the plant cannot uptake the nutrients you are giving them.

Feed your soil first! then and only then can a nutrient line be used to its absolute potential.

Back