• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

preservation Nice Mild Pepper For Pickling

Hi there.  I am asking you pepper guru's for some help on my better half's request.  She had just sprung on me that she would like to pickle some peppers this season.  I am currently germinating/growing from Caribbean Reds to Moruga Scorpions and Brainstrains.  She however is not a hot pepper person.  So I would like to ask you for opinions on a nice mild pepper so I may grow it for her to keep her happy.  I know that this is a HOT pepper forum, but thought who better to ask.

On another note.....  She has not ever had anything hot, but just asked if she could pickle the peppers in the baggie in the freezer.  She asked what they were, so I told her the same as my powder which she hates.  She said maybe they would be good.  I then said O.K.  So I am currently defrosting it for her.  She'll be sorry for not listening......  Or will I be sorry for listening.  Report to follow, if I am still alive!  Take care all, and thank you.

There are lots of great sweet peppers to pickle, here`s just a few.

Urfa Biber
Syrian Aleppo
Trinidad Perfume (no-little heat C.chinense)
Zavory Habanero (no heat C.chinense)
NuMex Suave Orange
Chervena chuska (Hungary)
Corno di Torro
Fooled you Jalapeño (no heat)
Elefant
Elephant`s Trunk
Jimmy Nardello 

If you want to pickle some peppers for her right away why not try out the first run with some store bought jalapenos. I have always found when you pickle peppers it really kills the heat so you might need to add more heat then you would think.

My wife's grandmother used to grow Hungarian Wax peppers (though they are commonly found at most farmers stands and grocery stores) for pickling. They were the best-tasting pickled peppers I have ever tasted. Hot Cherry peppers are fabulous picked, but are much hotter than the wax peppers. As wax peppers are low in heat and very easy to find, you may want to try pickling them first.

Hot and or sweet banana's too, productive and very early.  They are awesome pickled in their yellow and red stages.

Not to mention they are hard to beat when roasted, fried, stuffed, or in salsa. It's easy to skin them too after they are cooked.

Agreed with Hophead, vinegar kills a portion of their heat.

Lots of great suggestion here already. I don't know what's readily available to you up there in Manitoba, but Jalapeños seems like an obvious choice because of their availability, and her/your first attempt. But I would seriously try to get all of the peppers suggested here. There's also a pepper called a Cherry Pepper??? I think? They are in the grocery stores usually sold by Mezzetta. Very mild and damm tasty. Good luck!

And :welcome: to THP

Here's a pic of what I was talking about.

View attachment 9330

Well, just a little update.  She bit into the Caribbean Red.  I could not be in the room.  It only took a few chews and about 15 seconds to hear my name being shouted....  'You ....., you knew this was a hot pepper!  Why the .... did you do this to me....'  Anyways, I will do some damage control, and I am still here to talk about it.  Thank you all again for the help, much appreciated.

obchili said:
 She bit into the Caribbean Red.  
     Oh, no! I'm not gonna pick sides in this or anything, I'm just gonna warn you to start watching your back. Some day when you least expect it (I know from second-hand experience how that second X chromosome can affect the human brain…), you will find out (too late) that your entire underwear drawer will have been dusted with moruga powder.

ms1476 said:
My wife's grandmother used to grow Hungarian Wax peppers (though they are commonly found at most farmers stands and grocery stores) for pickling. They were the best-tasting pickled peppers I have ever tasted. Hot Cherry peppers are fabulous picked, but are much hotter than the wax peppers. As wax peppers are low in heat and very easy to find, you may want to try pickling them first.

Hot cherry peppers are really good pickled imo. I haven't had Hungarian Was, but I think those would be good too. My GF loves pepperoncini a lot, so I highly recommend them. People use those in salads a lot. Banana peppers are good too.

Hungarian Hot wax / Hot Banana peppers are awesome pickled.  My favorite pickling pepper!
Put in one slice of an onion, 1-2 garlic cloves and mix the ripe RED peppers with some orange and yellow ones for a nice look and a variety in the flavor.  (Red ones are my favorite)

They are killer on a piece of chedder cheese.
Let it sit for 4 weeks before sampling so it pickles properly first.  Maybe longer, but it should be ok by then to get the flavors blended.
They aren't all that hot and the cheese mutes it some too.

If she is new to hot... maybe try some of the commercially sold pickled peppers first.
But the home made ones done like I do them are much better and tastier..

dash 2 said:
, you will find out (too late) that your entire underwear drawer will have been dusted with moruga powder.
Oh thanks so much for the great idea. That's one thing my second x chromosome has never thought of doing. :dance:

Damage control done.  Went to the city on an errand and brought her home a McDouble burger.  All good.  She just again expressed that the Caribbean Red just burnt her lips. 

C. baccatums are great pickled - they stay crunchy - unlike annuum's that do eventually go mushy - although not so bad if cold pickled.  If hot pickling then baccatum is the way to go.

Scoville DeVille said:
Lots of great suggestion here already. I don't know what's readily available to you up there in Manitoba, but Jalapeños seems like an obvious choice because of their availability, and her/your first attempt. But I would seriously try to get all of the peppers suggested here. There's also a pepper called a Cherry Pepper??? I think? They are in the grocery stores usually sold by Mezzetta. Very mild and damm tasty. Good luck!

And :welcome: to THP

Here's a pic of what I was talking about.

attachicon.gif
image.jpg
I love all the Mezzetta pickled peppers, but with that said, the wife brought home a Mezzetta Habanero Sauce today, thinking I would love it, not good! I'll stick with their pickled peppers, they're great!

Nice selection of low heat peppers from Russia, thanks!

Nigel said:
Chervena chuska (Hungary)

I bet this one is from Bulgaria. The name means nothing more than "small red pepper". I think varg will confirm it as the name is from Russian (or Bulgarian which is quite closely related to Russian) and transcripted from Cyrillic.

Back