• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

pests Nicotine tea as pest control?

Tried once, nicotine+chili+onion with 'while they last' effect, after that infestation, maybe regular application should work, i'm just lazy making it, using BB fungus, use it every once a week for a month, they all gone, just sayin'.

I've used tobacco tea for an organic pesticide before. It works great but I was reading an article from a horticulturist in Florida who says that it definitely isn't a good idea to use it on nightshade family crops like peppers, tomatoes, eggplant and potatoes because it often contains the tobacco mosaic virus which isn't killed by the hot water and the nightshades are susceptible to it. I guess I just got lucky that I didn't nuke my plants when I used it before. It's supposed to be OK to use on things like corn and squash, and my Dad used it for years on his rose bushes to kill rose chafers and japanese beetles. http://www.sptimes.com/2004/07/24/Homes/Deadly_doses_for_bad_.shtml

I tried it and fried some young plants last year. Be careful of your dosage of nicotine, probably best to find a recipe from a trusted source. I just winged it and payed the price for it.

Back