• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Night Temps

So I know its late in the season so I have an important question. Its supposed to get down to about 38-40 degrees here tonite. Will that kill my plants or damage the fruit hanging on them? I plan on bringing the plants indoors to ripen when I have to, but the rest of the week will stay around 50 at night. Just wondering if they will be ok for one night outside in the upper 30s?

They should be fine as long as it's not too windy. If it's going to be windy, cover them with some old sheets or blankets, or plastic garbage bags.

I actually keep mine going through the first couple of frosts by covering them with sheets and blankets. Until we have several cold nights in a row they keep going.

Glad to be of service!

Here's a picture of my sheet farm from a couple of seasons back.

SF.jpg

gardenkiller said:
How do you prop those up and keep them from squishing the plants?

Most are just sheets, I just toss them over the tops of the plants. Any old quilts or comforters are spread over several plants or propped on tomato cages. If you'll notice the white poles on to the right, that's a flyball jump from when Abigail and I were giving it a try, and I usually stick it in the middle of any plants I'm concerned might have brittle or overladen limbs.

Back