• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Night time temperatures

Hey all,
So I transplanted to my raised beds and containers last week and now they are calling for the lows a few nights this week to be in the mid to lower 40's. Seems pretty late in the year for this in Tennessee but my question is will it hurt my plants? How about the blossoms that have already started? I even have a few pods on a ring of fire plant. Should i snip the blossoms? In case it matters I have a mix of a superhots and hots. 50 or plants total.

i think if its only a few nights it will be ok.  i was going to plant last weekend until the forcast for central il changed for this week.  we are going to have 5 days in a row of mid to low 40s at night and only high 50s to low 60s and clouds/rain during the day.  years ago i planted a bunch of habaneros during a cold snap in may, soil was sill cold and a week or 2 or cold and rain.  plants lived but never grew, at the end of the year they weren't much bigger than the day i planted, so now i wait and warm the ground with some clear plastic for a while before i plant

It will slow them down, new leaves will grow smaller and plants more compact in the cold I find, but otherwise nope mine have been down to 0.5C on many nights and suffered no harm. It also works as pretty good pest control if it gets cold enough! :)

My lows will be in the 40's in SW Iowa for this week also.I have mulch on them and think they will be ok.Soil temps are 60.

Back