• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Nitrogen Overdose Update

This is my Trinidad scorpion plant with nitrogen burn. I used too much fish emulsion I guess and the peps didn't really like it. I am curious however, COULD THIS BE FUNGUS GNAT DAMAGE? I have a lot of fungus gnats around my soul but I use neem and soap, or is this clearly a fert burn? Everyday the leaves are getting crisper and developing more brown spots. I've been flushing the plants like crazy the past couple of days, so what's the verdict??

If this is indeed a fert burn, how can I recover? What new nutes need to be introduced?

I plucked all of the damaged leaves off the plant, this plant also has a thicker stem than my other guys so it leads me to believe that it's doing well root-wise.

Idk what to do!!!! I'm a newbie grower and I'm so inexperienced :(

Below is my bushy Brazilian Starfish plant :)

The older leaves with brown spots will continue to spot and will eventually shrivel up and drop because of the damage - it's just how plants deal with damaged leaves, they drop them off. What you want to focus on is the newer growth and in your case the newer leaves are looking fine

second picture looks ok to me. not great, but ok.

its a frutenses right? that cupping is typical when its hoter.

your top plant looks like the new growth is starving. what exactly made you think they got burned by fertilizer?

its possible that light ammonium toxicity caused those necrotic spots, but they can be made by all sorts of things including insect damage.

ammonium toxicity should have been seen first at the newest growth. severe toxicity will result in darker colored roots as well as stunded root growht with the tips turning black and dying back.

you should have not removed the damaged leaves. leaves are the factories that make sugars that your plant uses to grow. by removing them you are just setting your plants back farther.

imho you flushed all of the nutrients out of your top plant, and are now suffering from a lack of nitrogen and others i imagine.

ammonium toxicity is not a huge plant killing ordeal... it can happen when soils slow down, with cold temperatures or too much water or excessivly low PH.
i doubt you even had ammonium toxicity though. test the soil runoff for conductivity. its probably not elevated much beyond the baseline conductivity at this point.

Phil said:

Diggin' the Descendents MGTC avatar.
haha thanks man can't go wrong with Descendents. Sad how many people don't know them. I could never choose which album I liked more between MGTC and I don't want to grow up 

obeychase said:

This is my Trinidad scorpion plant with nitrogen burn. I used too much fish emulsion I guess and the peps didn't really like it. I am curious however, COULD THIS BE FUNGUS GNAT DAMAGE? I have a lot of fungus gnats around my soul but I use neem and soap, or is this clearly a fert burn? Everyday the leaves are getting crisper and developing more brown spots. I've been flushing the plants like crazy the past couple of days, so what's the verdict??

If this is indeed a fert burn, how can I recover? What new nutes need to be introduced?

I plucked all of the damaged leaves off the plant, this plant also has a thicker stem than my other guys so it leads me to believe that it's doing well root-wise.

Idk what to do!!!! I'm a newbie grower and I'm so inexperienced :(

Below is my bushy Brazilian Starfish plant :)

I can't see the pics right now, but my gut tells me that it would be pretty difficult to get high nitrogen nute burn from 5-1-1 Fish fert. That's a pretty low dose, even if you're overdoing it. If anything, the first sign should have been exceptionally green leaves.

OSUPepperGuy said:
haha thanks man can't go wrong with Descendents. Sad how many people don't know them. I could never choose which album I liked more between MGTC and I don't want to grow up 

Both of those are better than ALL. But I can't pick a favorite either. I lean towards I don't want to grow up.

queequeg152 said:
second picture looks ok to me. not great, but ok.

its a frutenses right? that cupping is typical when its hoter.

your top plant looks like the new growth is starving. what exactly made you think they got burned by fertilizer?

its possible that light ammonium toxicity caused those necrotic spots, but they can be made by all sorts of things including insect damage.

ammonium toxicity should have been seen first at the newest growth. severe toxicity will result in darker colored roots as well as stunded root growht with the tips turning black and dying back.

you should have not removed the damaged leaves. leaves are the factories that make sugars that your plant uses to grow. by removing them you are just setting your plants back farther.

imho you flushed all of the nutrients out of your top plant, and are now suffering from a lack of nitrogen and others i imagine.

ammonium toxicity is not a huge plant killing ordeal... it can happen when soils slow down, with cold temperatures or too much water or excessivly low PH.
i doubt you even had ammonium toxicity though. test the soil runoff for conductivity. its probably not elevated much beyond the baseline conductivity at this point.

I agree, especially about removing the leaves.  Those leaves were still capable of providing the plant with some good energy.
Several of my plants always end up getting broken / topped by the dogs, wind, pests, and anything else..IMO all it does it set them back.

I don't believe you'd use the word sir if you knew me :D

May have been burn from the neem. Oil falling out of solution in the sprayer/on the foliage, or exposure to sun soon after could cause burns. Concentration and ratio of soap:oil may be another factor.

Back