• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

NJ habs sprouted

Man, that warm boiler room did it. Nothing on the roses in the middle or the Indian Sanams & Byadagis on the other end. So now what do I do? I have to take the lid off which means the other seeds may never sprout, but I don't want to risk losing these. I can't believe how high they came up. Now I am in trouble b/c I do not have a grow light or other fancy setup. They will have to rough it by the window and hope they live....

2 days ago there was NOTHING there. I had to remove the lid because a few were touching it.

IMG_1465.jpg

IMG_1466.jpg

Here's what you do:

Go to Lowes/Home Depot and get about 3-4 of the $6 metal clamp lights. Than get about 8 (some will blow after using them) 100+ CFL bulbs. Than get a power strip and a timer for the strip.

Get the lights as close to the sprouts as you can get them and raise them as they grow. Keep them watered. done!

works good for me...so far.

I use light socket switches from Wal-mart (the gold ones with a push switch), they cost about $2 each. I Wired them up with old cords hacked off old appliances/tvs/monitors ect..

Then I hang them above my plants with string, when they need to be raised I grab a part of the string with left hand, and with right hand pull some slack and tie a knot, which raises it about an inch.

Or you can make a lightbox lined with foil or something reflective, which I have made before, and stick some CFL's above the top.

Good luck :D

Btw you can get a pack of 3 - 26 Watt - 2700K (Soft White, 100 Watt Eq.) CFLs for around $8, or a pack of 2 - 6500K (Daylight) bulbs for $7 at Wal-mart.

And I agree with finexampl, get spares because even though they last 8000 hours (About a year) they can go sooner, especially if you turn them on and off alot.

worlok said:
What do I clamp them to?
mine are clamped to a shelf that's lined just right, after that i dont know. you could use anything though. be creative. we're MEN after all. we build. it could be as simple as a broom handle on a stack of books/milk crates/dead five year olds, etc.

Thanks guys. For now they will have to suffice on sunlight at the window, until I can get something. Been having car issues lately and been tied up with that. If they die I will try again. Hopefully they are hearty little suckers. Sure came up far and fast.

I covered them last night and this morning put them on a window sill in the sun. It's the front window so I could actually see them sticking up as I drove away to work. :lol:

IMG_1469.jpg

IMG_1468.jpg

worlok said:
Man, that warm boiler room did it. Nothing on the roses in the middle or the Indian Sanams & Byadagis on the other end. So now what do I do? I have to take the lid off which means the other seeds may never sprout, but I don't want to risk losing these. I can't believe how high they came up. Now I am in trouble b/c I do not have a grow light or other fancy setup. They will have to rough it by the window and hope they live....

2 days ago there was NOTHING there. I had to remove the lid because a few were touching it.

IMG_1465.jpg

IMG_1466.jpg
Mine looks Identical to yours Worlok.

but a little greener.

Nice work by the way.

I have mine in sun on one of the back window ledges today since I was working from home I had the luxury of doing that.

One of the alleged Sanam chili plants on the other end of the tray broke through yesterday. So far nothing on the Byadagis.

That's wonderful but I don't have the room for that.

I *do* have a Nextel computer rack. If I remove some unused stuff maybe I can convert it into a makeshift plant thing. (thinking)

Problem is I have a powered off but still useful Sun Microsystems Ultra 5 workstation and monitor on it. Perhaps the section above that which only has a useless iMac and an old Umax scsi scanner, neither of which I use.... (more thinking)

You control the size. You could make it slightly larger than the tray the plants are sitting in.

You keep that thinking mode going and you'll have your problem fixed soon. Good luck worlok.

Back