• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

NJ - put some in pots

bigt said:
Hey, Miracle Grow always worked fine for me. Surface got hard when it dried out, but you can break it up. I mostly bottom water with it, but not always. I switched to Pro-Mix this year based on how great Cappy's (PRF) plants looked. Pro-Mix looks like higher quality and it certainly roots fast with seedlings, but I have no experience with it over the summer. At least with MG, you don't have to add any fertilizer for 3 months. Your plants will be fine.

I start all my seeds in pure pro-mix in a seedling tray

transfer the seedlings into 12 oz cups with pure pro-mix

Grow the plant to maturity in a pot (3/4 pro-mix and 1/4 soil and cow manure mix)..............

within 2 to 2 1/2 months from seed i get peppers!!

will get a pic up soon of a scorpion that is currently flowering
(germinated in late jan)

who makes this pro-mix again? When I Googled I got many different looking things calling themselves the same name.

The original kick against MG was the high nitrogen content. It tended to make plants green and grow lots and lots of big leaves. Well today MG has all kinds of different combinations of NPK and you can find one that will do what you need it to do.

I'm using the MG potting mix as well and looking back I'm not sure if I would have used it to transplant seedlings into. I think it overpowers them at first. Maybe mix in some coco coir or peat or plain top soil with it next time. Live and learn.

I think it's a good product if used correctly. When I catch it on sale again I'm pretty sure I'll get another bag or two. It does make things grow.

Good luck with your plants worlok.

Hey I sent you an email regarding the Bhut Jolokia seeds, if you're still in the need let me know.

patrick said:
Good luck with your plants worlok.

Hey I sent you an email regarding the Bhut Jolokia seeds, if you're still in the need let me know.

Thanks dude, I emailed you using the form.

I hope it's not too late to grow super hots from seeds.

Seeds are on the way. You may have to finish the plants off under some lights but you'll get some pods. Then in the fall cut it back real good and overwinter it. Next year could be a wicked year of Bhuts for you.

patrick said:
Seeds are on the way. You may have to finish the plants off under some lights but you'll get some pods. Then in the fall cut it back real good and overwinter it. Next year could be a wicked year of Bhuts for you.

Thanks. Every time I mention this or she sees another one potted, my wife gets a little more scared. My mother in law (who lives with us - Northern Irish, immigrant - likes bland food) just shakes her head, and my son laughs and enjoys proclaiming how crazy his daddy is.

fineexampl said:
Go to Lowes and get a big trough for mixing or use a big bucket you have kicking around. Now go buy a big bale of sphagnum peat moss (about $8, wear a face mask) and toss some in the bucket. Next, add a generous amount of pearlite, vermiculite, or both (each about $5-7 per bag). Next, add some organic material like compost or something. Now get it damp enough that it feels like regular potting soil (mine was bone dry. warm water helped this.). Your seed starter is fine. As far as IGG's suggestion on Fox Farm soil, it's very expensive. I've never used it, but it's about $20-30 a bag. Bonus with mixing your own is you get 3-4 times as much for pennies.

yes, this.

Thanks for the tip. Since I have a LOT of plants to go get in the ground I would prefer to get a small amount of pro-mix to get them ready for the outside and just use some other type of cheap soil to mix in with the dirt. I can get all the items you have listed, but not sure about the organic material?? I don't have compost, but I could get a lot of cow manure. Would that be ok to use or is it too strong?

Back