• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

No cotyledons. WTF?

I noticed a couple of days ago the typical loop in the soil for one of my Fatali. Today I check and the stem has fully emerged but with no cotyledons. It seems to have lost it's head somewhere. Never had this happen before and not sure if this plant is doomed? Anybody ever seen this? Will true leaves eventually emerge? :(

(Disclaimer: I'm no expert :-)

I've had this happen in about one out of every 100 seeds. I find that sometimes the stemlet just dries up and dies, but sometimes the tip of the stem splits in two to become the cots, as if what it was supposed to do in the seed it did later out of the seed.

I've always looked at this as being the opposite problem of those pesky "helmet-head" cases where the seed doesn't want to let go. I'd make sure to keep that tip humid by misting once in a while.

I look forward to some feedback from more expert pepperheads though...
/pb

It may or may not, I had one that did that on it's own and one that I did it to on purpose and both have survived. I can't even tell which ones they were, they have caught up to the others in growth. But it may not, it's your call.

Dale

I had one last year that was stuck and I managed to tear the leaves down to small stubs getting the helmet off (lesson learned). I was going to trash can it but I let it live and it did fine eventually. It was WAY slower developing than its siblings though.
I would say it's a matter of how desperate you are to keep that particular plant. Or keep it for scientific curiosity.

Got one of those too. I thought it would be a big advantage but it turns out to be a very ordinary plant so far. Meh.

yeah one of my devils tongue sprouted and has no cotelydons. It is still alive but the tip of the plant kinda dried

thepodpiper said:
It may or may not, I had one that did that on it's own and one that I did it to on purpose and both have survived. I can't even tell which ones they were, they have caught up to the others in growth. But it may not, it's your call.

Dale

So what ended up happening? Did cotyledons emerge from the stem or did it bypass them and just the true leaves emerge.

Back